PDA

View Full Version : For my friend, Ed

Downthestretch55
10-11-2006, 12:36 PM
My friend, Ed, died a year and a half ago. He had proudly served in Vietnam where he was blown up by a booby trapped mortar shell on a path near the village where he was training ARVN's. He was a 24 year old colonel, doing his "duty" when he lost both of his legs, his right arm, and his right side of his face, including his eye.
He spent the remaining time of his 51 years counseling other vets, making return trips to Vietnam with medical supplies and others that needed to find puropse in their actions there. He brought meaningful exchange and supplies to the place where he was so tragically wounded.
He taught courses at Hartwick College on Southeast Asian studies.
Now, he's gone. He can no longer speak and attempt to resolve the conflicts that also conflicted him.
I'd also like to dedicate this thread to two other friends, Dennis and Jim.
Both were recently returned Viet vets, active in the Vets Against the War.
I was a commuter college student at the time, and they needed a ride to the campus. The stories they told in my VW bug during those 1970-71 commutes, remind me still of the mental damage that they had been involved in. I've lost touch with them both now. I hope they are ok after all this time.
Finally, my high school buddy, Stan Reed. He was 18, a new Marine and in Nam only four weeks before he made the ultimate sacrifice.
His name is on the "wall".
Thankfully, Ron Kovic continues to say what needs to be heard.
It's long, but well worth the time it takes to read.

http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1011-22.htm