PDA

View Full Version : does anyone...

BellamyRd.
09-21-2006, 08:24 AM
read anymore? People post on movies they like/dislike, music & TV, but what about books~if you don't want to pay, there is always the library
I've been reading a lot of memoirs and two excellent ones are
"The Tender Bar" and "Running with Scissors", both outstanding!

paisjpq
09-21-2006, 09:39 AM
the last book I read that I thought was really good was 'flyboys:a true story of courage'...by the same guy who wrote 'flags of our fathers'...the book is hard to stomach but very well done.

Danzig2
09-21-2006, 01:59 PM
still love to read...lately i've been snapping up bernard cornwell books (sharpe series is probably his best known work, but he's got a ton of other good stuff, great historical fiction).
right now i'm reading 'russka' by edward rutherferd. i have all of his books, and so far have read london, princes of ireland and rebels of ireland.
just not enough time in the day to read them all very quickly!

somerfrost
09-21-2006, 02:03 PM
They aren't new but the works of James Drought are excellent, his family did have a website where you could read or download most of them! I stick pretty much to comic books now days, or else I read the Slayage quarterly when it comes out!

kentuckyrosesinmay
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I read all of the time. In fact, I just read The Lord of the Flies (enough said) a few weeks ago, and am almost finished with Lost Christianities (very interesting!). This summer I reread Seabiscuit (the most beautifully put together book that I have ever read), reread Funny Cide (outstanding), read A Year At The Races (great horse psychology book; gives good insight on horse racing), and read Pride and Predjudice (outstanding).

Sightseek
09-21-2006, 02:58 PM
I read all of the time. In fact, I just read The read A Year At The Races (great horse psychology book; gives good insight on horse racing), (outstanding).

I'm reading her Horse Heaven.

Seattleallstar
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
I read Playboy, Penthouse, and Maxim

1st_Saturday_in_May
09-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Mainly for college but this summer I read 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown. Right now I'm in the middle of 'Built to Last : Successful Habits of Visionary Companies' for my Business & Prof. Comm. class....yawn

kentuckyrosesinmay
09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm reading her Horse Heaven.

Is it good...? I really liked A Year at the Races....

BellamyRd.
09-21-2006, 07:29 PM
Judging from the reviews on Amazon
the majority feel "D.Wayne" was a debacle
the biography written by Carla DeVito
recent horse books I've enjoyed are
"Black Maestro" "Bloodhorses" & "Lady Godiva: Nude Dressage"

Sightseek
09-21-2006, 07:30 PM
Mainly for college but this summer I read 'The Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels & Demons' by Dan Brown. Right now I'm in the middle of 'Built to Last : Successful Habits of Visionary Companies' for my Business & Prof. Comm. class....yawn

Which did you like better? I liked A&D, except for the last chapter, best. More action...I couldn't put it down!

Sightseek
09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Is it good...? I really liked A Year at the Races....

it's really good (even though I've taken FOREVER to get through it, but that's what happens when you get the Blood-Horse or TT's weekly! LOL). The great thing about it is you can tell who in the industry she actually based her characters on.

My list of books to attack:
Man O' War - Legend like Lighting
Exotic Betting (or any betting book for that matter, if you want to know the longshot or maiden that will bring you the price to hit the board.....I'm you're girl! Exacta/tri/pick whatevers horrible!!)
White Oleander
and about a gadzillion others I see everytime I go into Borders!

ddthetide
09-21-2006, 07:36 PM
BR, if you haven't read these check them out.
"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by warren st. john
"Crimson Nation" by eli gold
"What it Means to be Crimson" by gen stallings and kirk mcnair

and everyone MIGHT be interested in this one.

"Turning the Tide: How One Game Changed the South"
by don yaeger, sam cunningham and john papadakis
reviews on this have been VERY good.

BellamyRd.
09-21-2006, 08:13 PM
BR, if you haven't read these check them out.
"Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer" by warren st. john
"Crimson Nation" by eli gold
"What it Means to be Crimson" by gen stallings and kirk mcnair

and everyone MIGHT be interested in this one.

"Turning the Tide: How One Game Changed the South"
by don yaeger, sam cunningham and john papadakis
reviews on this have been VERY good.

hey DD, the Warren St. John book ranks amoung my all-time favorites in any genre, asked for Eli's book last Xmas but Santa must have thought I was a bad boy, so I still have to read it, & the Stallings, The "Turning the Tide" book I almost bought yesterday at Barnes & Noble, looks great! Tide gonna Roll through Fayetteville this weekend?

Sightseek
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
hey DD, the Warren St. John book ranks amoung my all-time favorites in any genre, asked for Eli's book last Xmas but Santa must have thought I was a bad boy, so I still have to read it, & the Stallings, The "Turning the Tide" book I almost bought yesterday at Barnes & Noble, looks great! Tide gonna Roll through Fayetteville this weekend?

Bellamy, (which is an absolutly FABULOUS name I might add! :cool: )

Since you seem to read a lot, you should sign up for the Borders Rewards card, it's free, unlike the B&N card. I get weekly coupons and everything I purchase goes towards some sort of christmastime credit. Check it out on their website! :)

1st_Saturday_in_May
09-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Which did you like better? I liked A&D, except for the last chapter, best. More action...I couldn't put it down!

I think I liked Angels & Demons more. Taking nothing away from DVC because it was great, but A&D was a bit more suspensful IMO and I enjoyed the plot a bit more as well.

ddthetide
09-22-2006, 10:54 AM

"Turning the Tide" is written by 2 USC players. i saw interview with sam cunningham. as he told the story coach mckay and coach bryant knew what they were doing when they set up that game. he said the players had NO idea. cunningham and the trojans run ALL over the Tide and the next year Alabama has it first black player. that player, johnny mitchell now DE coach of the pittsburgh steelers.

Bama defense confuses fr qb and running game FINALLY gets rollin. Tide wins @ arkansas. BBQ for everyone!

boswd
09-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I am avid reader. I read about two books a month. My favorite of all time is Watership Down. The past two books I've read were Confederacy of Dunces - may just be the funniest book ever and The Whiskey Robber , Great Book. Right now I am reading Map of Bones.

boswd
09-22-2006, 04:57 PM
For the horse racing fan that loves the history of the sport and of the early times "They're Off at Saratoga" Is a phenomanal book. It not just chronolizes the history of Saratog Race course, which it does, but also of the times and events that truley built this sport. The book is very expensive, I don't know why, but it is truely an amazing book and should be part of any horse lovers library.