PDA

View Full Version : Happy horsey thread

GenuineRisk
08-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Just a happy Friday thread- I went for a ride in Central Park this morning before work with my riding buddy and it was such a lovely ride. I rode Gillespie, an old palomino who hates other horses. Many of the horses at the stable here are true New Yorkers-- bad tempered, hate being told what to do and very protective of their personal space, so they can be a pain in the neck. BUT-- today we had such a nice ride together (after two "discussions" early on in the ride which I won). I felt like I could almost hear him say, "Hooray!" ever time I asked for a canter. And it's stupid, but I feel so freaking cool cantering past the joggers and dog walkers and tourists on the bridle trail. Considerably more cool than on the days I'm kicking and kicking, asking to go foward. :) The stable has better horses, but on Gillespie's good days, I couldn't ask for a nicer park horse to ride. And I give him credit-- he's as mellow as they come while garbage trucks, honking taxis, barking dogs and construction go on around him on the ride to and from the park.

So, there's my lovely ride to carry me through the weekend. What was your last really nice ride, fellow riders on the board?

Buffymommy
08-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Sounds like an awesome thing to do! I am jealous. I want to go for a ride in central park.

Last week. I actually cantered a 20 meter dressage circle! :D Buck was being a good boy the entire ride in our big jump ring. Walk/trot/canter in a nice, easygoing balanced way. So I decided to try a small canter circle in the dressage ring. He broke into a trot going down the line to B, but picked the canter back up when asked and turned at B and stayed nice an balanced all the way around the 20 meter circle. HA HA! Our first time. (Buck has been getting back in shape since he wasn't ridden much before May and he had a very weak back end as he was a western horse and use to be very heavy on the forehand). We then just rode on a very loose rein around the entire property under the trees. It was just an awesome day!

Haven't ridden since Sunday as it has been raining all week. Suppose to have a lesson today after work, but clouds are rolling in as I type.

Any other riding stories out there? This is fun!

Downthestretch55
08-26-2006, 01:58 PM
This is a great thread.
I just thought I'd share something nice that happened today.
I went to the farm to play with my mares, yearlings and fillies. They're doing beautifully.
Well, an elderly lady was there. Her name is Betty.
We talked for a while and she said she'd like to ride. So, I got Sweet Harmony, a quarter horse mare, from her stall, brushed her clean, tacked her up. Betty had ridden for many years and seemd very keen on getting on a horse again. So, I led Harmony out to the mounting block as Betty followed.
She climbed up and managed to throw her leg over and into the iron.
We walked around the training ring about ten times, while I held the lead.
Sweet Harmony was a "good girl".
My real thrill was seeing the smile on Betty's face. She was just so happy to be on a horse!
Betty is 85 years old. I'm guessing that horses keep you feeling "young".
Yup, 85 years old...still riding.:)
DTS