PDA

View Full Version : Just grousing...

GenuineRisk
08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
... about my newly sprained thumb. My poor mount in riding class tonight punched a hole right through the rotting floor in the ring with his enormous hooves and his 1100+ pound weight and we both took a pretty spectacular fall. He almost rolled on me, I'm told, which I'm glad I didn't see. I ate a lot of dirt, and was still covered in it on the subway ride home. Which made me feel kind of cool, actually. But my thumb is swelling up and it hurts. I hope it's not broken.

The horse, Arnold, is okay-- no cuts or scrapes, which amazes me, and went to bed stuffed full of carrots and kisses and praise for being so mellow about the whole thing. Truly a gentle giant.

chupster2
08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Holy Moly! Through the floor????? Yikes. Sounds like you were BOTH lucky.

slotdirt
08-22-2006, 08:42 AM
I had a horse almost roll on me once, but that was mostly because he was a giant a-hole and not due to a faulty floor.

Hope you're feeling better.

Buffymommy
08-22-2006, 09:14 AM
OH MY GOD! I hope you are OK. I bet the whole floor gets replaced in the VERY near future.

You haven't told me about Arnold before? Sorry I haven't emailed. I am at a new desk temporarily and it does not have my address book on the memory. I will go get it at lunch and email you.

How is your thumb? Are you feeling better? I hope you took some aspirin before bed last night.

Downthestretch55
08-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Hope you mend up...sounds like you and the horse are very lucky.

GenuineRisk
08-22-2006, 11:07 AM
I thought my thumb was okay today, but it's still swelling; I think I'll call the doctor. Last time I thought it was a "just a sprain," I had broken a knuckle (staying on a horse that really, really wanted to buck me off) so I know I'm not a good judge of my own injuries. I might just need something to keep it immobile.

Aspirin. I knew I forgot something...

This was my first ride on Arnold, BuffyM. He's a big black horse with some draft in him. Slow to start and stiff, but willing, and very sweet. Short upright neck, so even though I'm tiny and he's enormous, I look okay on him. Likes to charge out of the ring onto the street, though, so I had to keep him distracted every time we went by the door. He's a gem in the stable-- I gave him a quick curry in the stall (after hosing him and cleaning his feet) and when I turned around to get the soft brush he tried to follow me right out of the stall. Awww.....

Thanks for asking, everyone!