PDA

View Full Version : I lost a dear friend last night

jp96stang
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Yes, he was "just" a dog, but he was my dog, my friend. We had to put him down at approximately 3:30 AM this morning due to complication as a result of cancer. His soul is even more beautiful than his appearance. He will remain in my heart forever. I love him and miss him dearly. RIP pretty puppy!!

jp96stang
06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of my pretty boy.

Suffolk Shippers
06-02-2006, 11:07 AM
looks like a good ole pooch if there ever was one, hope everyone at home is doing ok without him.

Downthestretch55
06-02-2006, 12:34 PM
JP,
I'm very sad for your loss. May he be the first one to greet you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.
RIP.

DTS

jp96stang
06-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Thank you !!

31lengths
06-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of my pretty boy.

I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there and please never forget him.

There is no such thing as "Just a dog". I live for mine.

Buffymommy
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I am soooo sorry JP. Dogs are not "just" dogs. They are family. I still cry over my dog that I lost four years ago. She was my baby.

I love Boxers too. He was a beautiful dog. He is now at the rainbow bridge waiting for you.

Secretariat
06-02-2006, 01:42 PM
animals can be for many a part of the family.
sorry for your loss.

but on the other side,

i found it best to replace the one you had as quickly as you can, the attention you pay to the new one will take your minds eye from the old one, imo.

jp96stang
06-02-2006, 02:04 PM
At this point in time, i know as well as anyone that a dog is not just a dog. I probably shouldn't have typed that because i think it's being misinterpreted.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. It will help in the healing process.

Exceller
06-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Nice looking dog. I lost my dog two years ago, waited two weeks and got another from the animal shelter. Funny but my all black lab/terrier mutt has been reincarnated as an all black cat that now has adopted my home even with my dog. Amazingly my dog doesn't even mind the cat.

2MinsToPost
06-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Never easy, especially when they have to be put to sleep. Been there, done that. I know what you must/might be feeling but remember your friend, your pal, your companion is in a better place.

Byebyemermaid
06-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.We purchased a dog on December 17th of last year,a chocolate lab that was 2 months old and weighed 14 lbs.Today he ways close to 90lbs.Our 4 year old thinks she can ride him and he just takes all the abuse.It's great to see him at the end of the day and i truly understand why they refer to dogs as mans best friend.Again JP sorry to hear about your loss.

GenuineRisk
06-03-2006, 08:42 AM
JP, there is a marvelous, marvelous essay by the great American playwright, Eugene O'Neill, "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog" that I recommend highly. You can find it on Amazon. I found a site where a woman posted part of it, but it needs to be read in its entirety (all 2 pages of it). I found it immensely comforting when our dog died.

Actually, I recommend it for all dog lovers! I read it as a child, but didn't know who the author was and just about flipped as an adult when I found out it was O'Neill. Didn't know the grouchy old drunk had it in him. :)

Buffymommy
06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
At this point in time, i know as well as anyone that a dog is not just a dog. I probably shouldn't have typed that because i think it's being misinterpreted.

Thank you all for your thoughts and well wishes. It will help in the healing process.

I was agreeing with you about dog NOT being "just a dog". No disrespect meant.

Take the time to heal before getting another dog. Took me almost two years before I would get another puppy. When you are ready you will know.

jp96stang
06-03-2006, 03:21 PM
I was agreeing with you about dog NOT being "just a dog". No disrespect meant.

Take the time to heal before getting another dog. Took me almost two years before I would get another puppy. When you are ready you will know.

Buff

Thanks for you thoughts and well wishes.

I did not take offense to anything you wrote. I just didn't know if the meaning of my first post was understood, since several responses made reference to it.

Thanks again. It'll just take some time.:)

JP

31lengths
06-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Buff

Thanks for you thoughts and well wishes.

I did not take offense to anything you wrote. I just didn't know if the meaning of my first post was understood, since several responses made reference to it.

Thanks again. It'll just take some time.:)

JP

Nor did I mean any disrespect by what I said. I know that they are the best things that ever happned to me.

Hickory Hill Hoff
06-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost, my cat of 12 years past away on April 22nd.
It's a tough thing, you get so attached and the decision to put them a sleep when thier ill is a very hard one. They give you unconditional love always and they are part of your family. My thoughts are with you during this tough time.

packerbacker7964
06-04-2006, 01:08 PM
oh sorry for your loss girl. I love Boxer's and they are very much like kids. My buddy has one and he pouts when he doesn't get his way. Wait awhile before you get another puppy I always do. You'll know when you ready for a new one. Maybe get another Boxer or something different. Hope you get along better in the days to come.

chupster2
06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm so very sorry. They are all so precious. I'm still not over my Grant (cat RB) who died over a year ago. I miss my buddy even though I love my two girls. They are each special.

Seattleallstar
06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
condolences about your dog stang, my dog is up there in age as well and is not the same.

Coach Pants
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
JP, there is a marvelous, marvelous essay by the great American playwright, Eugene O'Neill, "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog" that I recommend highly. You can find it on Amazon. I found a site where a woman posted part of it, but it needs to be read in its entirety (all 2 pages of it). I found it immensely comforting when our dog died.

Actually, I recommend it for all dog lovers! I read it as a child, but didn't know who the author was and just about flipped as an adult when I found out it was O'Neill. Didn't know the grouchy old drunk had it in him. :)
Oh shut it.

Mortimer
07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
rule-eng en leff-eng!!

pgardn
07-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Professors of Archaeology arise...

Mortimer
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
I am soooo sorry JP. Dogs are not "just" dogs. They are family. I still cry over my dog that I lost four years ago. She was my baby.

I love Boxers too. He was a beautiful dog. He is now at the rainbow bridge waiting for you.

She's in the can for burping baby whales.

docicu3
07-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes, he was "just" a dog, but he was my dog, my friend. We had to put him down at approximately 3:30 AM this morning due to complication as a result of cancer. His soul is even more beautiful than his appearance. He will remain in my heart forever. I love him and miss him dearly. RIP pretty puppy!!

I completely understand and offer my own views on the subject from about 15 months ago...My heart goes out to you during your time of need. Never make excuses such as "just" a dog as your friend was a sacred gift which you should cherish and embrace. Celebrate his memory with pride and respect.

God Bless

DrD

My best and most loyal friend is dying.....

It's probably not the place for this and you would think I should be a hell of alot better with this given I deal with human suffering and death every day of my profesional life but the one completely selfless loving being I have ever known is leaving our family and I am beyond devastated.

My 12 year old golden "Shadow" (sassy chance and shadow with those with an awareness of that family).....was diagnosed with metastatic lymphoma yesterday. He isn't suffering at the moment but is disinterested in eating and his usual activity......

All this animal ever did was....

1) raise my children ........he had the unique innate ability to lie with young boys at night when they didn't want to be alone until they fell asleep, knowning somehow by the change in their breathing that slumber had befallen them and he could now safely leave their sides each night. The security he gave my sons is not definable.

2) greet me each and every time I came through a door morning, noon or night as if I had come home from a war with the passion and happiness of lovers too long apart.

3) lived to make our family happy each and every day, never cross, complaining or difficult. How many people do you know in your life that haven't got one annoying habit or flaw.

He isn't apparently in pain and has periods of alertness with a wagging tail, alert eyes, affection craving. Is it cruel to hold on to further time together if you think it is quality time from both perspectives.

My friend has done more for me several times over than I have ever done for him, a selfless example of devotion who made every person he lived with a better creature by knowning him. An example of altuism when the word is used all too easily.

Euthanized is a word I have a great deal of a problem with if the animal isn't apparently suffering.

I love my dog so shoot me......the loss is a hole in my head and heart I'll not soon mend.

onebadbeast
07-22-2008, 12:36 AM
i feel your loss.........lost my cocker pup while under the care of my ex, she let her get poison somewhere.

felix unger said it best, "spell dog backwards"