http://tcm.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43750

Nice pic of Saratoga Russell
http://www.pedigreequery.com/saratoga+russell

blackthroatedwind
02-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Yet another infomercial.

Indian Charlie
02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
what derby is that saratoga russell a contender for?

los al?

sunland?

blackthroatedwind
02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
To point out the obvious.....

.....the ridiculous thing about threads like this one is that West Point offers this silliness as an advertisement. That's fine. They are in business to sell themselves. However, why is that advertisement being reprinted here as though it is worthwhile information to be passed along?

Every 3YO nominated to the TC is a theoretical Derby contendor. Only an idiot would offer that list as such.

Kasept
02-22-2008, 01:13 PM
What else is stunning, is how the constant 'updates' of West Point's horses gets merchandised as news by the trades. This is now the third 'piece' that has regurgetated West Point's press releases in recent weeks, with DRF, Blood-Horse and TTimes all having taken the bait. IEAH is another calling shots from this playbook, passing off the most mundane plans of their horses as 'news'.

blackthroatedwind
02-22-2008, 01:25 PM
What else is stunning, is how the constant 'updates' of West Point's horses gets merchandised as news by the trades. This is now the third 'piece' that has regurgetated West Point's press releases in recent weeks, with DRF, Blood-Horse and TTimes all having taken the bait. IEAH is another calling shots from this playbook, passing off the most mundane plans of their horses as 'news'.

It is the responsibility of the publication whether or not to treat it as such. I don't blame any partnership for trying to get free publicity. You aparently don't either.....as you allow them to advertise here.

Kasept
02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
It is the responsibility of the publication whether or not to treat it as such. I don't blame any partnership for trying to get free publicity. You aparently don't either.....as you allow them to advertise here.
True.. and I don't. But I don't get passing off simple press release materials as 'news', when there are dozens of stories about any number of "Derby Contenders" that can be filling the pages of the industry papers at this time.

whodey17
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
News by defintion is "a report of a recent event; intelligence; information." If West Point is giving you information or a report about their horses, then it is news by definition. Just because one does not view this as news doesn't mean it isn't newsworthy to someone out there. What is considered news by some, may not be news to others. What is and isn't news is purely up the the reader.

blackthroatedwind
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree. The question, at least to me, is whether or not it is newsworthy.

SniperSB23
02-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I agree. The question, at least to me, is whether or not it is newsworthy.

Is it really newsworthy that there is a snow advisory right now? I can look out my window and see that. At least from this press release I learn something, even if it is essentially useless information.

whodey17
02-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree. The question, at least to me, is whether or not it is newsworthy.Someone out there decided to print it and make it newsworthy. Now it is up to the reader to decide if it is news or not. For me this is not news. And if I owned a racehorse publication, I would not publish such a release. However, if West Point bought advertisement in my publication, I might be financially inclined to print such a release.

blackthroatedwind
02-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Someone out there decided to print it and make it newsworthy. Now it is up to the reader to decide if it is news or not. For me this is not news. And if I owned a racehorse publication, I would not publish such a release. However, if West Point bought advertisement in my publication, I might be financially inclined to print such a release.

;)

ELA
02-22-2008, 03:50 PM
Obviously there is a difference between an "advertisement" and "news" (newsworthy et al can open up the debate). However, when you are talking about these partnerships, syndicates, etc. -- a very large part of the equation is "exposure" (I'll use a generic term), and the target market for that exposure is the captive audience, potential buyers (of shares)/investors, etc. -- and that's here, the trade/industry journals, etc.

The link to the news story referenced here -- that would be news if it was "Pletcher's Derby contenders" and not West Point. Being that it's West Point, there has to be an element of "advertising" as it's their business model.

Eric

Cannon Shell
02-22-2008, 04:39 PM
HACKERCRAFT RETURNS TO GALLOPING

details on the 10 pm action news on channel 9

2 Dollar Bill
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM

************* T I V O Alert ************

SniperSB23
02-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Can you make sure they refer to him as Dirt Marthon contender Hacker Craft?

pick4
02-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Yet another infomercial.

West Point Throughbreds. The gold standard of racing partnerships.

sumitas
02-23-2008, 12:14 AM
I thought some might enjoy the conformation pic of Saratoga Russell. Here's a pic I spotted of Wheelaway that I think is a super pic. He seems to be superimposed on the background because I do not see a shadow.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=4304928&origin=singlesearch

I'm not trying to promote anything but we cannot live in a vacuum either. There are some posters that enjoy a nice pic of a horse once in a while. Nothing more to it than that.

blackthroatedwind
02-23-2008, 12:23 AM
There are some posters that enjoy a nice pic of a horse once in a while. Nothing more to it than that.

Then why is the thread titled " West Point Derby Contenders " and not " Pretty Horsey Pictures? "

Cannon Shell
02-23-2008, 12:24 AM
Can you make sure they refer to him as Dirt Marthon contender Hacker Craft?
We are still weighing our options...

Cannon Shell
02-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Interesting fact about the fine stallion Wheelaway...

#1 National Leading 2nd Crop Sire
by New York-Bred Earnings

is that like worlds tallest midget?

sumitas
02-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Then why is the thread titled " West Point Derby Contenders " and not " Pretty Horsey Pictures? "

I just grabbed the bloodhorse title. Didn't mean to give people caniptions.

blackthroatedwind
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
I just grabbed the bloodhorse title. Didn't mean to give people caniptions.

I doubt anyone had a " caniption ".....whatever the hell that is.

sumitas
02-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Interesting fact about the fine stallion Wheelaway...

#1 National Leading 2nd Crop Sire
by New York-Bred Earnings

is that like worlds tallest midget?

I haven't a clue what that means either. Kind of a surreal ad , now that you mention it. It's a great pic of Wheelaway but is he really faster than his shadow ?

blackthroatedwind
02-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Wheelaway was a good horse....and another fine training job by Kimmel. He actually was right on the lead into the stretch in the KY Derby.

Dunbar
02-23-2008, 06:58 AM
in a similar vein, what the hell is this piece of "news" doing in Bloodstock Journal: (also in ThoroughbredTimes)

"Dean De Renzo and Randy Hartley announced a Breeders Reward Program for their 2008 stallions on Friday. Each signed contract through Hartley/De Renzo for the 2008 breeding season with full stud fee paid by terms and conditions of the contract yields one entry for a $25,000 drawing to be held after the 2009 foaling season..."

Wow, what an opportunity! It looks like they have just 9 stallions. If they book 100 mares to each stallion, then each entry has an equity of $25000/900, or a whopping $28. Even if I've overestimated the bookings by 2, it's still just $56 per entry. That really reduces the impact of the stallion fee.

--Dunbar

Cannon Shell
02-23-2008, 08:12 AM
in a similar vein, what the hell is this piece of "news" doing in Bloodstock Journal: (also in ThoroughbredTimes)

"Dean De Renzo and Randy Hartley announced a Breeders Reward Program for their 2008 stallions on Friday. Each signed contract through Hartley/De Renzo for the 2008 breeding season with full stud fee paid by terms and conditions of the contract yields one entry for a $25,000 drawing to be held after the 2009 foaling season..."

Wow, what an opportunity! It looks like they have just 9 stallions. If they book 100 mares to each stallion, then each entry has an equity of $25000/900, or a whopping $28. Even if I've overestimated the bookings by 2, it's still just $56 per entry. That really reduces the impact of the stallion fee.

--Dunbar
Maybe they can get the accounting firm that handled the Patrick Ewing draft lottery to administer their drawing?

NoLuvForPletch
02-23-2008, 09:49 AM

I laughed out loud...