PDA

View Full Version : Favorite fun moments in racing

my miss storm cat
07-13-2006, 10:37 PM
It's been a long and sad day..... waiting for miracles is never easy.

Anyway, maybe this is wrong but i keep looking for ways to esacpe, if just for a moment. So i was wondering if any of you have a favorite, fun memory or race, picture or link..... something fun - not to forget Barbaro but maybe to momentarily remind ourselves of the joy in our beloved sport.

I can't find my picture of George Washington being impossible and full of himself, refusing to go into the winner's circle, but i did find this..... the strange and memorable photos of Sir Ray, taking the long way 'round. It always makes me smile.....

Maybe next time he'll leave the track, hit Starbucks, come back and win.:)

http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/news/2005/050525.html

Suffolk Shippers
07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I remember this race!!! However, I did not remember it being on Preakness Day. What a fun note by you, miss storm cat. Like you said, today has been a little tough and a reason to smile is always welcome.

my miss storm cat
07-14-2006, 01:48 AM
I remember this race!!! However, I did not remember it being on Preakness Day. What a fun note by you, miss storm cat. Like you said, today has been a little tough and a reason to smile is always welcome.
That goofball Sir Ray..... works for me every time.

So do you have a fun story or memory, SS?

Bigsmc
07-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Was at Del Mar on a friday afternoon in 1995 when this happened (If memory serves me correctly it was the last race of the card). I was standing at the fence with a buddy in disbelief. I have a couple of 8 x 10's that I got a couple days later from the track photog. hanging on the wall. I'll scan one and post it later.

It really isn't a "fun" story, more so a bizarre one. No one was hurt though.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=990CE5DB1230F932A2575BC0A963958260

Gander
07-14-2006, 05:21 PM
Not funny? This is absolutely hilarious! Cant wait to see you post the pictures. I have seen them before, they are a riot! LOL!

Some drone did the same type thing at Pimlico one day, he jumped out in front of Artax, who I think was running a below average race at favored odds. I love these sort of stories.

SentToStud
07-15-2006, 09:41 AM
mid-70's. Day or two before Christmas. I'm at the Fair Grounds in N.O.

Horse named Santa Claus is running. As he moves to the lead in the stretch, announcer starts singing, "Here comes Santa Claus ......" I bet against him. Santa Claus won by two.

irishtrekker
07-16-2006, 06:42 AM
These are more personal moments, but it had to be going to the track with my Dad when I was about 10 or 11. I got a lot of those "what's that girl doing here?" looks, along with some patronizing remarks...and then I put my allowance on a horse with nice odds in the third or fourth race who annihilated the competition. :) No more patronizing remarks, plus one very annoyed Dad who'd lost on the same race. Back then, I actually read some of the racing forms.

I wish I still had an allowance to use, because I might still be betting if I did. ;)

The other fun one had to be taking our therapy horses to the track for a fundraiser. The kids from our barn who came with us had such a blast, and the local trainers were just awesome: came out to meet the kids, let them pet a few of the track ponies...Really, really class people. It's also probably the only time I'll stand in a winner's circle, especially with the world's crankiest Norwegian Fjord (although even she seemed to enjoy being the literal center of attention -- we had to drag her out of there before they ran the next race, and she was not happy to leave).

Independent George
07-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I saw a horse eat a groom once in three bites as he was being led to the paddock. It was kinda bitter-sweet...I mean it wasn't funny for the groom---totally gone.The horse was a late scratch--never ran again. I remember the quote from the trainer the next day, "Jeeze, he never did that before."

Bigsmc
07-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Here he is (not the best pic, struggled with getting the file small enough for this forum):

my miss storm cat
07-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Unbelievable!

my miss storm cat
09-18-2006, 02:46 PM
Nice pictures of Rock N Fire in what seems like a bit of homage to the gallant Sir Ray.....

http://www.equidaily.com/

Chestnut Gal
09-22-2006, 01:33 PM
My boyfriend was working as an exercise rider in the late seventies/early eighties. One of the horses was named House Pet. Well House Pet was racing in Saratoga and was leading by about 3 or 4 and he got spooked and jumped over the fence and into the lake. On the news that evening Warner Wolf was showing plays of the day from the track and he showed the race with House Pet. We were all hysterical. Thank God he didn't get hurt, but a lot of people lost money that day. ;)