PDA

View Full Version : what got you in .. why is horseracing ...

hoovesupsideyourhead
11-12-2007, 08:04 PM
your thing.. of all types of gambling ..from rec players to pros what is it about horse racing .. that drew you into this mess..lol.....for me it was the puzzle ..with reward.. of all other forms of gambling this one seemed to be the most un random.. no machines ..no 4 decks ..one drf and a puzzle....

save the smart ass answers please......

GPK
11-12-2007, 08:07 PM
It started out as something to fill a void...but like you...the puzzle pulled me in.

sumitas
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I liked it as a kid. Ruffian made it too painful to watch for many years. Now I've rediscovered that youthful wonder of this grand, mysterious sport.

outofthebox
11-12-2007, 08:30 PM
My nextdoor neighbors dad was a mutual clerk in so cal. When we were in jr high we would handicap the daily double on sat am and do a couple of criss cross doubles. Then we would screw around till the Bill Garr daily double show would come on am radio and we would listen to the stretch calls. It was so addicting, buying that racing form for $1.25 and just trying to figure out the puzzle in front of us. No beyer numbers, trip quotes, heck they didnt even have fractions in the form. Had to put the post positions in, write the jockeys name, damn were spoiled now.. THis was the late 70's..Weve come along way baby!

Riot
11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
It was always all about the horses, not gambling. I'd still be as involved in horse racing if there was no gambling (but then, there would be no horse racing, would there)

But I agree, it's a fascinating, challenging, heavily mathematical puzzle, solvable by knowing the horse, applying critical reasoning and analysis. Very un-random is a good description.

I think people that only have an interest in the sport for the gambling, and having no interest in the fascination of the horse as a living athletic creature, are missing out on something terribly satisfying.

And I don't think handicapping alone off a DRF, with no knowledge of the horse as an animal, suffices for best possible success for most. For fun, try going to the paddock, and spending a day handicapping horses off how they look and act and walk, with no knowledge of odds or PPs.

Coach Pants
11-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Churchill Downs. I was 10 years old and it was my first visit to a racetrack. I remember watching an old man yell for his horse and when he didn't win he said, "God damnit, Brumfield!! Horrible ride, you cost me the exacta, you sumbitch!!" I was hooked.

my miss storm cat
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
His name was Smarty Jones..... :)

He got me interested and the 2004 Hollywood Derby, first race i ever went to, made me an addict.

paisjpq
11-12-2007, 09:28 PM
best friend owned an ex racehorse...a beat up NY bred. Her family took me to Toga when I was 11, caught it then betting silks and winning, (wish it was still that easy).

DerbyCat
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Three years ago a friend and I were looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon and we saw that they were running at Bay Meadows... $20 worth of $2 win bets and standing at the rail feeling the horses thunder by us hooked me for life. I've been at my new job for two months now and work 70+ hours a week yet everyone at work knows me well enough (or at least knows my obsession) to ask "how did you do at the track on your day off? Who do you like this weekend?"

The horse that truly hooked me was a $4K claimer named Proud Patrolman, his heart and desire to run both inspired and awed me. He's a nine year old gelding who just won his 16th career race this past Saturday (78% ITM for his career) and I absolutely love to watch him run... how can you not fall in love with this sport when you love the athletes so much?

_ed_
11-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I think people that only have an interest in the sport for the gambling, and having no interest in the fascination of the horse as a living athletic creature, are missing out on something terribly satisfying.
Absolutely agree.

For me, my parents have always been racing fans and I went along with them a few times and was instantly hooked. I love the sound of the thundering hooves, the jockeys' silks sparkling in the sun and the determination of the horses in a great stretch duel, to name just a few things about racing that I love.

And now my long-term interest is really paying off, I'm starting to see horses whose sires and dams I remember seeing race. Which is really awesome.

Cajungator26
11-12-2007, 09:57 PM
First race I remember seeing as a kid was the Wood Memorial... a big chestnut horse named Easy Goer won it and I've been hooked ever since. I never have been into the gambling aspect of it in a huge way, but I'll admit that figuring out how to read the form a few years ago was 'interesting.' I miss picking horses based on their names and looks. :p

letswastemoney
11-12-2007, 10:03 PM
First race I remember seeing as a kid was the Wood Memorial... a big chestnut horse named Easy Goer won it and I've been hooked ever since. I never have been into the gambling aspect of it in a huge way, but I'll admit that figuring out how to read the form a few years ago was 'interesting.' I miss picking horses based on their names and looks. :p

Oh the Racing Form is just hosh posh. Picking the gray horse is still in!!

cowgirlintexas
11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
What a great thread. Been fun reading a lot of these postings. For me it was Seattle Slew that forever changed my life. Made me persue my childhood dream of working and riding racehorses. He will always have a special place in my heart. As far as the gambling part of it goes, I did'nt really understand how to wager or really care to until I was out working at Santa Anita in 1989. Have always been pretty much a $2.00 better and always love telling anyone that cares about how I hit the trifecta in the Derby that Chrismatic won. Paid $6500 for a $1.00 bet. I remember jumping up and down like a complete idiot :D Go baby Go!!!!

Downthestretch55
11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
I liked it as a kid. Ruffian made it too painful to watch for many years. Now I've rediscovered that youthful wonder of this grand, mysterious sport.
Hey Sumitas!!!
I'm with you about Ruffian.
For me it was Alydar.

I tried to pm you about hip no 309 in the NY Breeders mixed sale at Saratoga.
I hope S- Warrior is ok. Smart to scratch him out of the sale, as it was horrible for nybreds. I sure wish NYRA would settle things cause the instability is killing the NY market. Timonium was even worse! Joe Mc"s were all RNA's.

PM me cause I have good news about Darlin' by Day and Daring Day. Both are 3X3 to Alydar.
Also, keep your eyes out for Tomorrow's Dancer (a mare that Jose picked up at the sale). She's by Tomorrow's Cat (Storm Cat), and also Jim J's Be Fruitful, a full sister to Corinthian---that won on the last day of Belmont's meet, in the slop, by six lengths going away.

SCUDSBROTHER
11-12-2007, 10:35 PM
It's the best form of gambling(they all do this though) to take your mind to another place.Sports do this well.Gambling does it better.Horseracing does it D BEST.I'm not saying everyone does it to escape reality,but I think it is uniquely good at that.

PPerfectfan
11-12-2007, 11:04 PM
My mother trained racehorses before I was born, so I grew up on the shed row so to speak. Shoot I was betting before I was in kindergarden. One of my earliest betting memories is of me throwing a fall down, kick my feet, flail around fit till my dad bet a horse named Scooby Doo,,,,yes Scooby Doo. Who just happen to win and according to my dad years later paid almost $100 to win!! And I almost had an above mentioned fit when Giamiaco beat Closing Arguement in the Derby and made me miss my tri/super. I only had him in the 2nd/3rd/4th spots....freaking nag. :eek:

Riot
11-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Gambling does it better.Horseracing does it D BEST.I'm not saying everyone does it to escape reality,but I think it is uniquely good at that.

Even better, try riding a horse. No way to think of anything else in the world when you're riding ;)

NoChanceToDance
11-13-2007, 05:05 AM
I've been into racing for as long as i remember. I grew up on a stud farm just outside Newmarket. I was taken racing by my parents as a one year old. The first meeting i actually remember though was Salisbury when i was about 5 or 6.

My father has been working with racehorses in one way or another for my entire life, and my mother has been working in the betting industry since i was 7.

Although, as a kid, i hated the sport. My father used to shout at the TV and i just used to scream back at him or turn the TV off. I dreaded Saturdays because i knew the racing would be on all afternoon. Now, it's completely different, racing is on almost every hour on a Saturday.

golfer
11-13-2007, 05:29 AM
Growing up near the Meadowlands, got into Harness racing originally, switched to thorobreds over the last 10 years. I remember the old t-bred programs, not much information... and who was this jockey named "No Boy" who rode half of the horses in each race??? What was up with that?

otisotisotis
11-13-2007, 07:28 AM
I've been pulled in and out so many times.....
1st memory is Affirmed winning the Derby.
A few years later a friend's family took me to Latonia Downs (now Turfway). Didn't realize the place was a dump because I thought it was so fancy that we were sitting @ a clothed table and somebody was waiting on us!
Lost interest for a while, got back in around 16 when another friend's parents were working as tellers.
Then one day a horse breaks down in the stretch drive right in front of me.:(
I walked out and swore never to go back, but I did a few years later and I've been hooked (again) ever since.

TheSpyder
11-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Earliest memory was Randall Park in Cleveland as an eight year old with my mom. She loved the races...and the rest is history.

Later growing up from 14 on would go to the Big T (Thistledowns) through high school. If you've been there you know you can only go up from there and next track was Churchil for the Derby.

Being in sales traveled the US taking in most tracks.

Why do I do this? The challenge, excitement, horses, the people. Yea, gambling is a big part of it but becoming less, especially thanks to Steve, in the enjoyment of learning more about the sport...and having your own (albeit small part) of a horse.

Bottomline it's one of the few things in life where you get back more than you put in.

Spyder

pmacdaddy
11-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Growing up in the Albany area, some of my earliest memories are times spent at Saratoga. At some point, I got a program and $2 per race budget. Still remember the first DD I hit. Think both horses had "Irish" in the name...

Had some seriously unexplainable success in Jr. High / Highschool playing Yonkers and NY Circuit Flats when I barely knew my ass from my elbow. Like many, this "beginners luck" or whatever it was really raised my interest level.

Went to college, met a girl whose Dad was a harness owner. Married her of course and that is what really got me interested in the ownership stuff. Figured it was years off till DT Stables rolled around....

Currently engrossed with puzzle described well above. Learning to study more and play less..

As a bean counter, finance guy and general oddball, horseracing just suits me...

SuffolkGirl
11-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Like Riot I got into racing because of the horse. The beauty and will of these animals as they are flying by you is unbeatable. Unlike many athletes they don't whine and complain about their pay. And Riot, again you are right, getting on the back of one of these animals and moving with them is a feeling that cannot be duplicated. Your spirit soars. Can't wait to get out of the office and get on the back of Tom, the 15 year old thoroughbred I ride. He makes everything better.

Oh, and cashing a few nice tickets doesn't hurt either!

Payson Dave
11-13-2007, 08:43 AM
I was born and raised in Saratoga....grew up on a street where Braulio Baeza, Mac Miller, Robyn Smith, Laffit Pincay, Leroy Jolley, and other track people stayed in homes that they rented for the month of August....My Grandmother use to take me to the track for breakfast when I was little also.

gales0678
11-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Working with some Jamaicans at a local golf course as a kid and getting to go to the otb after the round

pmacdaddy
11-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Working with some Jamaicans at a local golf course as a kid and getting to go to the otb after the round

Get up wit dat numba two Mon!!!

MaTH716
11-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh the Racing Form is just hosh posh. Picking the gray horse is still in!!

Dad, I didn't know you posted here!

Just kidding, but that is my old mans philosophy,
The first race I saw was on tv in the 1981 derby when Pleasant Colony won. I was 9. That winter my father took me to Aqueduct, I thought that place was great. But my father only took me to the track a handfull of times. I really didn't fall in love with it until much later in life. My friends and I used to go to Atlantic City every weekend. After a while I want an alternitive to blackjack and craps. That's when I found the track, but then it was just about gambling. Eventually it turned into a love of the sport. Now I am trying to share my love of the sport with my 4 year old (pictured in the left hand corner) He has been to Monmouth and Freehold (which he calls the hurtin track) at least 20 times. He watches it on TV with me and we even play Saratoga with his Lego blocks. That's where I bulid a paddock and a starting gate out of legos and he puts his horses in and they race. We even bought him this electronic track for Christmas that comes with 4 horses and jockeys, it looks so cool. I can't wait for the day to come where both of my boys are old enough to go to Saratoga.

oilertige
11-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Like some others, my first interest in racing was with harness horses. My big brother would take me to Raceway Park in Toledo (was then a dump and still is!) or Scioto Downs in Columbus. I have many friends who are owners in harness racing and still will do harness races following their interests (never miss the Jug!) As a youngster, remember watching TV and all the Triple Crown races but first real betting moment was the Monarchos Derby in 2001! I was in Vegas in the sports book @ Bally's. The place was packed and alive! I hit the tri and I was hooked!:D

SlewsMyHero
11-13-2007, 09:53 AM
As a 10 year old in 1973 I went to the Sonoma County Fair in Santa Rosa with my grandparents. I loved watching the races, and the $2 show bets that my grandmother made for me made it that much more fun. I would stay at their house for a week and go to the races everyday. We went to the Solano County Fair in Vallejo one day and I found a Racing Form on the ground on the way out of the track. I remember looking at in the car and being amazed that I could see the past performances of the horses. Once I understood what I was looking at, the races took on an even greater experience for me. From then on I was buying the Form and handicapping every time I went to the track. I was hooked.

Then came Seattle Slew in 1977, and Affirmed in 1978, and The Bid in 1979. What a great time to get involved the game. Seattle was and will always be my hero.

Dunbar
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
I grew up in Miami in a pre-Dolphins, pre-Marlins, pre-Heat era. Horseracing was a big deal in the newspapers and on TV. Being a racing fan wasn't as unusual as it is now. The 6 O'clock and 11 O'clock TV news routinely showed the stretch drives of big stakes races from around the country.

Friends of my family owned Sherluck, the '61 Belmont winner. Other family friends owned Stratmat, a claimer that won some stakes races. It was a charge watching these horses on national TV.

After I left Miami for college, it was harder to keep up with racing news. I remember having to go deep into the Sports Section to find out the result of the race in which Seattle Slew faced Affirmed, but both lost to Exceller.

I was capping as a kid, even though I couldn't bet. My betting on horses didn't start until after at least 15 years of serious (and successful) blackjack play. When Ziemba and Hausch published their books on looking for overlays in the place, show, and exotic pools, I tried it out for awhile. Results were mostly negative.

Stanford Wong, author of what's still considered the card counter's bible, thought he had found the key to beating claiming races in the late 80's. I moved to Las Vegas for 6 months to try it out, spending a lot of time in the Stardust's racebook alongside Wong himself. In the end I decided that Wong's ideas, if they worked, didn't yield enough good bets to be worth my time. But I also had learned a lot about capping in the process. I added to that knowledge base over time.

In general I'm willing to invest more money and time into games like blackjack and video poker, where I KNOW I have an edge, than in games like poker and horseracing, where I THINK I have an edge. But there's no denying that horseracing (and poker) are infinitely more interesting and challenging.

The result is that my betting is generally limited to races I'm paying attention to because of my fan interest.

Geez, what a long-winded answer!

--Dunbar

Riot
11-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Judging by people's answers, it seems the most important point for creating new fans is for them to be exposed to the track as youngsters.

Does anyone know when the Derby was first televised on national TV?

I think the first time I saw a horse race was Northern Dancer winning in 1964, but that may be confused childhood memories ... I know I remember reading about it in the Sunday paper (I was a horse-crazy kid and looked for anything about horses, everywhere)

phystech
11-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Grew up just down the road from Laurel Raceway (harness track) and used to get tips from the drivers/trainers who would come into town to do their laundry. I'd always fanagle a free season pass from one of them, then would get my exercise by running the 2 miles to the track most nights. Made a lot of money off those tips as a teenager.

My father's side of the family loved gambling - horses, playing cards, slots, you name it. Spent a lot of Saturdays with my father, a cousin and an uncle at Laurel, Pimlico, Bowie, Timonium, Charles Town, Shennendoah Downs. Used to really love tagging along on those Bowie/Shennendoah marathon days.

Went to high school with the Dutrow brothers. Spent a lot of time with Tony and Rick at Bowie during the winter, and always laughed my ass off at Rick and his charades.

My father had hoped to own a horse someday. He died before he ever got the chance. After his death, we found money from his overtime work he had been stashing away in a sock. A buddy of his came forward after the funeral and told us they were saving to buy a horse together. He died in his sleep 24 years ago today - at the age of 49 - after he had spent the day at Laurel watching the Washington DC International.

I happened upon a racing usergroup on the internet 12 years ago and they were trying to buy a horse by putting together a partnership. I put in $400 and became a horse owner a few weeks later. I've been lucky enough to be involved as an owner ever since. Guess you could say I'm living my father's dream......

pmacdaddy
11-13-2007, 10:19 AM
Judging by people's answers, it seems the most important point for creating new fans is for them to be exposed to the track as youngsters.

I can see it now, "Addict a Child to Gambling Day" at Aqueduct. They could give out ice cream cones with "mystery vouchers wrapped around the bottom. The first 1,000 fans age 12 and under...

After all, today toddlers are tomorrow's degenerate horseplayers.

Kidding aside, I do really enjoy spending time with my 5YO son at Track.

Heels1989
11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I too, grew up in the Capital District and my grand parents were long time owners and regulars at Saratoga Harness. My grandfather served as a groom for many years and during the summer months and my school breaks, he would bring me along in the mornings. Alls I ever wanted to do was get in the sulky, but I was to young/small, so I mucked stalls, grazed horses, cleaned the tack, etc. Looking back, I was probably a total pain in the a$$, but now 30 years later I wish I had better appreciated and understood the access and opportunity my grandfather had provided.. My parents also purchased a few standardbreds during this time which only added to the fun.

I also spent a many August afternoon across the street at the SPA chasing jockeys for autographs and goggles. I loved the place then and even more so now.

Biggest score as a kid: My buddy and I were running thru the grandstand upstairs. We look down and see a C-note mixed in with some tossed aside tickets. No one was around. We grabbed the $100 and off we went.

Biggest score as an adult: Getting my wife to marry me. ;)
Second biggest: To date, my 1st and only tax ticket, this past spring at Laurel Park Simulcast. A buddy and I hit a nice Pick 4 at Charlestown.

Riot
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Kidding aside, I do really enjoy spending time with my 5YO son at Track.

I'm sure he'll grow up to remember the race track as a happy place, time spent with you.

Maybe those tracks that offer family days, clowns, pony rides and facepainting for the young kids are not so far off on creating a future fan base?

Danzig
11-13-2007, 11:03 AM

I think the first time I saw a horse race was Northern Dancer winning in 1964, but that may be confused childhood memories ... I know I remember reading about it in the Sunday paper (I was a horse-crazy kid and looked for anything about horses, everywhere)

i remember reading that native dancer was a fan fave. the grey stood out on those black and white screens.

first televised in 1952 btw....google told me so. hill gail won that year.

on the radio starting in 1931.

Bigsmc
11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
As a bean counter, finance guy and general oddball, horseracing just suits me...

At least you freely admit it....

I got into the game when my older brother took me to Detroit Race Course in 1980. I was hooked instantly. I only attended DRC a few times with my brother (2+ hrs away) and then I was off to college and several hours from the nearest track so the itch had to be put on the back burner. A transfer to the University of Florida in 1985 suddenly put me 2 or so hours from Tampa Bay Downs. I would blow off class and drive in my Subaru to TBD usually on a weekday because I didn't want to give up my social life on the weekends (the only exception was Tampa Bay Derby day). That usually put me in a mostly empty track with a couple thousand senior citizens. I would always arrive as they opened the doors because that was when I could purchase the Form for the day (no newstand outside the Bay Area carried the Form). I would handicap like a maniac until the first post. I wouldn't allow myself a beer until I cashed a ticket (didn't want to waste what little bankroll I had on booze, but if I was buying with the track's money, it was okay).

Today it is not much different, instead of skipping class to go to the track, I skip work.

That aside, as Hooves said, it is all about the puzzle....

Riot
11-13-2007, 11:12 AM
i remember reading that native dancer was a fan fave. the grey stood out on those black and white screens. first televised in 1952 btw....google told me so. hill gail won that year. on the radio starting in 1931.

Thanks for the info on television - my memory of watching it is probably real, then (versus the endless enjoyable hours I've spent in the KY Derby Museum watching old Derby replays).

philcski
11-13-2007, 11:27 AM
My mother grew up in Miami, and my grandmother and aunt used to take me to Hialeah and Gulfstream as a young boy, in fact one of my last memories with my grandmother was the '84 Flamingo where one of my all time favorites suffered his one and only defeat. My dad ran numbers for a bookie as a kid and developed a "big day" type interest in the game so we always watched the Triple Crown and had a couple Belmont/Saratoga days a year. Always had an OTB down the block and hung around there. As team sports got more and more dull (as they have over the last 15 years), the appeal of racing (and gambling on the outcome!) grew.

blackthroatedwind
11-13-2007, 11:34 AM
save the smart ass answers please......

That precludes my response.

hoovesupsideyourhead
11-13-2007, 11:46 AM
im sure it was a good one too......

Holland Hacker
11-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I first went to Monmouth in 1981 on a whim. My friends brother was going and asked if we wanted to go. As it turns out it was a big day at the track as we saw Five Star Flight win the the Monmouth Invitational (now known as the Haskell). He tried to show us how to read a form and a program, I'm still learning. I've been into racing ever since then.

What has kept me involved is the "Puzzle" aspect and knowing that it is parimutuel wagering and all my experience and "knowledge" should one day provide an advantage over the people that are betting names, numbers and colors. I'm still waiting for the elusive big score, hope it comes soon, real soon.

After reading most of the these posts I think I might actually be PMACDADDY's long lost brother.

I too am in a profession dealing with numbers (accounting) as he is and enjoy spending time at the track with my 5 year old son.

moke0043
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
A Texas bred horse by the name of YESSIRGENERALSIR got me into the sport.

The Bid
11-13-2007, 03:32 PM
My parents owned horses when I was younger. I think my mother liked it more than my father, my mother likes the action, my dad is pretty conservative. To this day there is nowhere I feel as relaxed as I do at the racetrack.

VOL JACK
11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
My parents owned horses when I was younger. I think my mother liked it more than my father, my mother likes the action, my dad is pretty conservative. To this day there is nowhere I feel as relaxed as I do at the racetrack.

Hey BID, are those the familar black and lime silks of Billy Hays in your Avator??:D

The Bid
11-13-2007, 03:51 PM
No, but I like when Luke calls the familiar silks of X owner.

Those are none other but the famed silks of Archie De silva on Champion Silent Witness

ateamstupid
11-13-2007, 04:13 PM
I like animals. I'm a statistics and figures and charts geek. I like gambling.

Hickory Hill Hoff
11-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Got into seriously in the summer of '86, started my first real full-time job and a co-worker loved to play everyday. I would follow the Triple Crown races and the Spa, but not the daily grind. That was 21 years ago and I've never looked back!

Hickory Hill Hoff
11-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Hey Sumitas!!!
I'm with you about Ruffian.
For me it was Alydar.

I tried to pm you about hip no 309 in the NY Breeders mixed sale at Saratoga.
I hope S- Warrior is ok. Smart to scratch him out of the sale, as it was horrible for nybreds. I sure wish NYRA would settle things cause the instability is killing the NY market. Timonium was even worse! Joe Mc"s were all RNA's.

PM me cause I have good news about Darlin' by Day and Daring Day. Both are 3X3 to Alydar.
Also, keep your eyes out for Tomorrow's Dancer (a mare that Jose picked up at the sale). She's by Tomorrow's Cat (Storm Cat), and also Jim J's Be Fruitful, a full sister to Corinthian---that won on the last day of Belmont's meet, in the slop, by six lengths going away.

Welcome back DTS-55! :) Glad to see you posting again...you sent me my first PM back when this board started. How's things down in the southern tier? I'm sure things will be picking up soon with hunting season starting on Saturday.

Lava
11-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Afleet Alex and Lava Man love both of them:D

3kings
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
As a boy I would visit my Grandmother and her brothers for a couple of weeks in the summer. They used to take me to Monmouth Park a couple of times a year. Loved the Paddock and how the horses walked through the building to get to the track. If you havn't been there it is a beautiful track and I explored every inch of the place. If I picked a couple of winners for my grandmother it was a stop for ice cream on the way home. Since those early days I have loved racing because of these fond memories. Now I enjoy the game because I find handicapping and trying to predict the outcome a challange, which I openly admit, I am not very good at.

philcski
11-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Uh, me too. But I think everybody here already knew that :o

whodey17
11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
For me it was the challenge to come up with the winner of a race. The stuyding, the projections how a race would unfold, the grace and beauty these animals have and the most of all, the companionship I shared with my father and grandfather.

westcoastinvader
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
Earliest memory was Randall Park in Cleveland as an eight year old with my mom. She loved the races...and the rest is history.

Later growing up from 14 on would go to the Big T (Thistledowns) through high school. If you've been there you know you can only go up from there and next track was Churchil for the Derby.

Being in sales traveled the US taking in most tracks.

Why do I do this? The challenge, excitement, horses, the people. Yea, gambling is a big part of it but becoming less, especially thanks to Steve, in the enjoyment of learning more about the sport...and having your own (albeit small part) of a horse.

Bottomline it's one of the few things in life where you get back more than you put in.

Spyder

My personal story would pretty much echo Spyder's

I've been going to the track and following the horses for fifty years.

Fifty years. Half a century stuff!

And, I'm now 51.

My mother didn't drive, as most mothers didn't back in the late 1950's and early 1960's. But, she'd call a cab and lug me to the track, even as an infant. I've posted around here before, but it's a true story that I was reading the DRF and the Cleveland Plain Dealer sports page at age 4 and 5.

I've also posted before that I won a major spelling bee in the legs to the Washington finals by correctly spelling the word "inquiry." When the principal inquired live on stage how I was so confident in the spelling, I let the audience know that I had seen the word on the odds board at the track many times before.

Ascot Park was my first and most beloved track.

The track that Eddie DeBartolo bought and closed in the mid-1960's.

At this moment, I'm looking at a nicely framed original ink winner's circle photo from Ascot Park. July 1, 1950. "Fly Demon" was the winner, with "H.Craig" up. Owned and trained by "O. Meredith." "7 furlongs in 1:26 2/5-Fast". The "Akron-Cleveland Purse." I bought it last year on eBay for just a couple bucks. I was ready to go 50 times higher to get it, but apparently I'm one of the few who know, care or remember Ascot Park.

I, too, darkened the door of Randall, Spyder.

horseofcourse
11-14-2007, 04:34 AM
I started watching the Derby in 1972 and grew up in the 70s and 80s. When you start out on Riva Ridge, Secretariat--Sham, Foolish Pleasure, Bold Forbes--Honest Pleasure, Seattle Slew, Affirmed--Alydar and Spectacular Bid...you think horses come around like that every single year. Turns out I was wrong!!

docicu3
11-14-2007, 04:37 AM

Uh, me too. But I think everybody here already knew that :o

I graduated from this school as well......

Watching Easy Goer and Sunday Silence teach me what the triple crown was didn't hurt either

azerica
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
My grandpa got me hooked on the track atmosphere. I never bet except to say i placed a wager on any race and that was a rare occasion. I love the crowds, the horsey smells of the paddock, the thunder of hooves....it wasn't until a few months ago i decided to try to learn to read the form......

ninetoone
11-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Used to go to the greyhounds in Arizona in the 70's with my grandparents. My cousin and I would walk around and collect old tickets off the ground & check them against the program for fun. One day he found a winning ticket & my grandfather made him split it with us 4 ways. He's still mad about it to this day. Since then, I'd have to agree that the puzzle aspect is a strong pull for me, along w/the parimutuel aspect. I also haven't found a form of gambling that provides a better rush when you win. I think that goes back to the puzzle & the feeling that comes along with solving it...especially on a longshot. I just will never understand how someone could sit at a slot machine for hours on end when this is readily available...baffles my mind.

jballscalls
11-14-2007, 05:52 PM
My dad would take me to Longacres every weekend during the season. I can still hear Gary Henson "And here he comes, the Captain Condo is on the move" after they closed longacres i didnt go to the track for probably 7 or 8 years. when my dad got sick i started going with him alot that spring/summer of 2001 to Emerald Downs. After he passed away i spent alot of time at EmD and started falling in love with racing as i did in my childhood. I dont gamble hardly at all anymore, just love being a part of the game and enjoying it everyday.

my miss storm cat
11-14-2007, 06:32 PM
C'mon, let's hear it..... :)

theiman
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Summer of 1970.
The back up goalie for the NY Rangers, Gilles Villemure, was a harness trainer driver at Roosevelt Raceway. I had Ranger season tickets and had to see him drive.
I found a friend who was 17, as I was 15 and too young to drive, and he was going to the track and got a ride with him. He told me we would have to ask an adult to walk us in thru the gate, so we asked some older folks, gave them the $2 admission and went in with them. I won the first night betting $2on each race. Bought my first horse 6 years later at 21 and have loved it since.
Converted to mostly T-Breds about 20 years ago, but still follow the trots as some of my friends still own standardbreds.

Never regret getting into the game or following it. Met way too many good people along the way, and some creeps too.

Rileyoriley
11-14-2007, 08:19 PM
An uncle took me to the Northampton fairgrounds when I was 7 and watching the TC races on tv with my grandfather. Derby and BC day are my holidays. I only bet a couple times a year but I tape all the races.

jman5581
11-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Growing up a mile from Churchill Downs did it for me.

The Indomitable DrugS
11-14-2007, 08:48 PM
My father and grandfather and others in my family were all degenerate horse gamblers.

As were some of the regulars at a little bar my dad owned/booked bets from. That was of course after his illustrious betting coup/training career was halted.

I guess I was a big hit in the bar. They named a sandwhich after me - and I was all about giving horse and sports betting advice as long as the recipiant of my fine advice gave me a quarter to go play pac-man after I was finished.

In 1991 I cashed a bet on my first big longshot winner - I believe it came on the same card as when Dance Smartly won the second leg of her Canadian Triple Crown sweep. Through the magic of technology and BRIS Cd's I now know that the winner, Time To Gogo, finished her brilliant career with a 1-for-25 record.

Concern's win in the '94 Classic - when I had the exacta straight and called him winning a last-to-first pace meltdown - that was when I first thought I was a genius...and believed myself.

Perhaps that race played the biggest role in the obsession I got to take handicapping and betting as seriously as I do....or at least did.

AeWingnut
11-14-2007, 09:00 PM
I took my uncle Charlie to the riverboat. He was bored stiff. He took me to the OTB and that was it. I didn't know it at the time but his uncle Ed owned horses. I'm afraid we are losing more of the old breed without new blood filling the void.

I agree with hoove's it is solving a puzzle. For some reason the very first thing I look at is bloodlines.

nomad
11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
I grew up just a few miles from Aqueduct, but never went. At that time, you had to be 18. I left NY when I was 18. went to Cal, met a guy who took me to NM. A friend suggested going to SF Downs so a group of us went. I watched a few races. I've always been an animal lover. When I saw a horse that looked great, I thought about making my first bet. I asked a more experienced friend if I should bet the horse to show. He said "If you like a horse, you should bet to win"
So I put $2 to win on this 10/1 shot. I got back $22 & got hooked for life.
I still make those $2 win bets on horses I like the looks of & it's been 30 years.
I love this game & I love the beautiful animals that make it possible.

philcski
11-14-2007, 09:47 PM

I graduated from this school as well......

Watching Easy Goer and Sunday Silence teach me what the triple crown was didn't hurt either

Yeah, Sunday Silence/Easy Goer pretty much sealed me for life as well.

Cajungator26
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM

Ditto.

westcoastinvader
11-14-2007, 10:32 PM

I used to tell girlfriends never to worry about me meeting a girl at the track (or the OTB) when I went off on my own to watch and wager. I really believed it. Too focused on the horses and the form, and not many girls in attendance.

That all changed when I went to Belmont to see Easy Goer and Sunday Silence, with hopes of seeing Sunday Silence win the Triple Crown.

I was hanging by the paddock before the 1st race, not far from the Secretariat statue, when I met a young lady. We ended up having a wonderful day. At least I did. It was the first time in my life I met a girl (besides my mother....!) who loved thoroughbred racing. I won't go into much more detail of that day being a supposed gentleman and all that.... :rolleyes:

I think I've told the story before, but once I was by myself at an OTB in Indianapolis when what I considered to be an attractive unescorted girl came asking to see my form, and sat down and struck up a conversation. I was in town on business, and honest to goodness I presumed she was a hooker. In fact, I flat out asked her if she was a hooker.... pretty matter of factly. I didn't need no hooker interfering with my horse racing gambling! Turned out she wasn't. She had a good laugh, and we had some nice times together.

FWIW, going forward, I would not recommend "are you a hooker?" as an ice breaker line.

The Indomitable DrugS
11-14-2007, 10:43 PM
FWIW, going forward, I would not recommend "are you a hooker?" as an ice breaker line.

Thanks. I'll be sure to make note of that.

pmayjr
11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
When I was in my early teens, my parents and I would go to the greyhound track across the border in Hudson, WI, and to Canterbury when it re-opened in the Mid-90s. Gambling with my parents' $$$ seemed fun, and I evenn made them some $$$ from time to time.

I didn't play much on my own when I turned 18, because I went to school in South Dakota. They had an OTB in the college town I lived in, but I didn't find that out until the last few months I went to school out there lol.... ignorance was probably bliss on that one. The funny thing was, I remember hitting an exacta on a race at Hialeahwhen I was at that OTB (it was '01 or '02 at the latest), and I wonder if the track was open much longer after that?

When I came back to Minneapolis and started working a steady job, I started simulcasting at Canterbury more. Over time I've become pretty decent at it, and even do some contests now (when I can afford it). I usually go every weekend, and love playing the crappy night tracks the most.

I guess the thing as far as betting goes that hooks me to the game the most, is the minimum investment you can put into winning a lot of $$$$. I really don't have the most money to spend, but I can use my skill to win some big bets anyway.

Bobby Fischer
11-15-2007, 05:18 AM
I was introduced by my father, who is a sportsman and a horseplayer.
I have never participated in anything that matches the game of horseracing.

miraja2
11-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Strange that so many people share that same story. Count me in as another who was hooked by the '89 Triple Crown.
That is why I will never change my avatar.

booner
11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
4 years ago, I was invited to go to Ellis Park with some friends from work. While I had always thought about going, I had never taken the time to do it. Could hardly make sense of the track program, but hit the tri in the second race for $180 and was off and rolling. I loved the atmosphere and the betting, but what really hooked me was watching the horses run. The beauty and grace they displayed pulled me in. But I didn't go head over heels until the next year.

I followed the races a little during the winter. That spring, went to Churchill and saw a horse named Afleet Buck in a $30k claiming race. Absolutely fell in love with him from first sight. For some reason, when I saw him in the paddock, he just caught my eye. To this day, I still don't know what it was. He finished 3rd or 4th that day, and I put him on my watch list.

That October, my brother and I took a trip to Keeneland, and he was entered in a $50k claimer. I was on pins and needles when they went into the gate. He was in last early, but made a big move around the turn, closed fast and lost a photo for the win. I was screaming and hollering like crazy when he was closing the last 2 furlongs. I had a feeling of excitement and passion that I couldn't explain. After the race, a couple in front of me asked if I owned the horse, because I sure was cheering like I did.

I used to keep up with football and basketball fervently, but since that day everything has transfered to horse racing. I love staying up late at night poring over the PP's, going to the track the next day, and seeing a race play out exactly like I pictured it in my head.

As I'm typing this, I have found out that putting into words the way I actually feel about horse racing is very difficult. I could name several more reasons why I love this game so much. The atmosphere of being at the track, the anticipation as they load into the gate, the beauty of watching them run around the track, and the personal satisfaction I get when the race plays out like I pictured it........it's a feeling like no other.

I could ramble on and on and on, but I'll end it here. I love this game!!

NTamm1215
11-15-2007, 09:34 AM
4 years ago, I was invited to go to Ellis Park with some friends from work. While I had always thought about going, I had never taken the time to do it. Could hardly make sense of the track program, but hit the tri in the second race for $180 and was off and rolling. I loved the atmosphere and the betting, but what really hooked me was watching the horses run. The beauty and grace they displayed pulled me in. But I didn't go head over heels until the next year.

I followed the races a little during the winter. That spring, went to Churchill and saw a horse named Afleet Buck in a $30k claiming race. Absolutely fell in love with him from first sight. For some reason, when I saw him in the paddock, he just caught my eye. To this day, I still don't know what it was. He finished 3rd or 4th that day, and I put him on my watch list.

That October, my brother and I took a trip to Keeneland, and he was entered in a $50k claimer. I was on pins and needles when they went into the gate. He was in last early, but made a big move around the turn, closed fast and lost a photo for the win. I was screaming and hollering like crazy when he was closing the last 2 furlongs. I had a feeling of excitement and passion that I couldn't explain. After the race, a couple in front of me asked if I owned the horse, because I sure was cheering like I did.

I used to keep up with football and basketball fervently, but since that day everything has transfered to horse racing. I love staying up late at night poring over the PP's, going to the track the next day, and seeing a race play out exactly like I pictured it in my head.

As I'm typing this, I have found out that putting into words the way I actually feel about horse racing is very difficult. I could name several more reasons why I love this game so much. The atmosphere of being at the track, the anticipation as they load into the gate, the beauty of watching them run around the track, and the personal satisfaction I get when the race plays out like I pictured it........it's a feeling like no other.

I could ramble on and on and on, but I'll end it here. I love this game!!

Great post that captures so much of why so many of us love this game. Truly the greatest game in the world.

NT

Oaklawnfan
11-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Here you can get real entertainment value for your wager. It's participatory, not passive or quite as impulsive.

Danzig
11-15-2007, 05:40 PM
i'm just a horse nut. gambling is secondary for me.

Pedigree Ann
11-16-2007, 11:16 AM

I know I watched Venetian Way and Bally Ache and Celtic Ash in the 1960 Triple Crown races because I drew strangely proportioned but labelled pictures of the winners with blankets of flowers over their withers. (Only 8, you see, and not particularly artistically talented.) Native Dancer is supposed to have been the first racehorse TV star, back in 1953.

azerica
11-16-2007, 02:16 PM
My dad would take me to Longacres every weekend during the season. I can still hear Gary Henson "And here he comes, the Captain Condo is on the move" after they closed longacres i didnt go to the track for probably 7 or 8 years. when my dad got sick i started going with him alot that spring/summer of 2001 to Emerald Downs. After he passed away i spent alot of time at EmD and started falling in love with racing as i did in my childhood. I dont gamble hardly at all anymore, just love being a part of the game and enjoying it everyday.

I love Emerald Downs. They had it nicely decorated with the past triple crown winners banners for Smarty Jones' attempt in the Belmont.

Belatde condolenses for your father...

pgiaco
11-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Degenerate gambler Grandparents. They used to take me to Aqueduct to babysit me. Fell in love with the horses then and there.....The gambling/problem solving angle appeals to me, but pedigree research and mating planning sealed the deal.

SentToStud
11-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Worked the backstretch at DRC a couple summers as a kid.

Drove 1000 miles to see the Seattle Slew/Affirmed Marlboro race. Still the best sporting event I've ever seen or heard of.

magic_idol
11-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Started going out with this bird after the bust up of my first marrige who was a track rider ,she then became a adult apprentice jockey so i never got to see her so got into training just to see her ;)
Remember lying on my RV to get my trainers licence as they like people from racing families not a Welder from the ghetto,won my first race with a 5k second hand horse with my apprentice now wife aboard & that was me gone:( ,
Now she works for the opposition "Queensland Racing" teaching apprentices & im still stuck dreaming loving & hating them all at the same time:cool:

Benny Leger
11-16-2007, 03:35 PM
My dad owned thoroughbreds when I was young. Mostly cheap claimers who ran at River, Latonia or Beu. Little Stevie Cauthen setting records as a young teenage apprentice rider did it for me. I just saw him at TP on KY Cup Day. Looks like he could still ride both ends of the Double. I'm facinated at how competitive horses are with nothing on the line but their pride.

geeker2
11-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Saratoga Harness track when I was 16 years old...when early DD was king!

I bet a horse called Crestwood Copper 2wps..collected something like $47..thought I was a millionaire...

Been chasing Crestwood Copper ever since ....

2Hot4TV
11-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Grand Dad would tell Grand Ma we were going fishing at the local park and we would go to Santa Anita. I go back a ways and cashing a winner on Mr Right in I think was the Santa Anita Hcp got it started, but seeing horses like Big Red, Slew, Bid, Affirmed, Precisionist, and John Henry has continued to seal it.

King Glorious
11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
I would go over my grandfather's house and no matter what was going on, he'd always go to another room at a certain time of night. Turns out it was when the race replays show was on. I started going in and watching with him. I didn't know anything about the races but I liked the action. I'd say that hearing Trevor Denman call the races was what really excited me the most. The next year, I started paying more attention and was really drawn in watching Snow Chief in the SA Derby. By the end of the year, watching on tv wasn't enough so I told my grandfather that I wanted to go to the track for my 16th birthday. Just so happened that this was the same day as the BC at Santa Anita in 1986. First bet I ever placed was on Capote in the BC Juvenile.

The interesting thing for me is that I don't care for the gambling part of the sport. If I see something that I like, I'll play it. Sometimes it's weeks or months between plays for me. What's even more interesting is that I don't like horses at all. Never have. Well, I like them when they are racing and winning but that's all. If they can't win or once they retire, I don't care anymore. I think that the fun part for me is trying to decipher the form and how a race will turn out. I like watching horses that don't need anything. They don't need a certain track, a certain condition, pace, weight, level of competition, etc.; they just go out there and take the race to the others. I like flat out speed. Give me a horse that is going to run as fast as he can as far as he can and that's a horse I'll follow.

I like the promise of tomorrow. Seeing an exciting 2yo that I think could be the next big thing is what keeps me. I don't care so much about the Derby. We all know that's a crapshoot race anyway. I remember in April I said that I didn't know if Curlin would win the Derby or not but that by the end of the year, he'd leave no doubt as to who the best 3yo was. I care about the entire season and watching things unfold.

I care about the top races and the top horses. I know that the claiming game is the backbone of the sport but I have no interest whatsoever in watching the lower levels of racing. If it's not grade one or two, I'm not interested. Which makes it hard to keep interest these days because the lines between top horses and middle level horses has never been so blurred.

I love the trainers like Lukas and Biancone. They aren't afraid to step out of the box and try unconventional things. I don't like the guys that pigeonhole their horses into certain things and stay there.

I'm disappointed that next year, we will be without so many of the top horses from this year. Street Sense is gone. Lawyer Ron is gone. Hard Spun, AGS, Octave, Dylan Thomas, etc. It's basically like starting over from scratch each year. But the prospect of seeing War Pass turn into an all-time great will have me back next season.

deltagulf
11-18-2007, 01:35 PM
my dad had a co worker who owned race horses. so that whats got be started. along with the close racing.

Uncle Daddy
11-18-2007, 04:38 PM
The hook was set early. In Chicago in the late 70's they would show stretch runs of the feature from Arlington on the local sports news. I had family who worked at Sportsman's and Hawthorne and racing talk always seemed so grown up and exciting.

Thunder Gulch
11-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Always been an avid fan of all sports and was at least somewhat interested in horses, but getting roped into going to the 1991 Derby hooked me.

philcski
11-18-2007, 09:02 PM
I used to tell girlfriends never to worry about me meeting a girl at the track (or the OTB) when I went off on my own to watch and wager. I really believed it. Too focused on the horses and the form, and not many girls in attendance.

That all changed when I went to Belmont to see Easy Goer and Sunday Silence, with hopes of seeing Sunday Silence win the Triple Crown.

I was hanging by the paddock before the 1st race, not far from the Secretariat statue, when I met a young lady. We ended up having a wonderful day. At least I did. It was the first time in my life I met a girl (besides my mother....!) who loved thoroughbred racing. I won't go into much more detail of that day being a supposed gentleman and all that.... :rolleyes:

I think I've told the story before, but once I was by myself at an OTB in Indianapolis when what I considered to be an attractive unescorted girl came asking to see my form, and sat down and struck up a conversation. I was in town on business, and honest to goodness I presumed she was a hooker. In fact, I flat out asked her if she was a hooker.... pretty matter of factly. I didn't need no hooker interfering with my horse racing gambling! Turned out she wasn't. She had a good laugh, and we had some nice times together.

http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com/option,com_events/task,view_detail/agid,106/year,2007/month,11/day,09/Itemid,35/

listen to the start of hour 3 (about 5 minutes in) with Steve and Rick Hammerle.

ALostTexan
11-19-2007, 12:39 AM
In high school, a friend and his dad, who was at that time my high school principal, offered to let me tag along for a trip to Remington Park in OKC. His dad let us take $30 each, no more, and we made win bets all day long. Had a blast.

But that didn't get me hooked, because it was about 10 years later that I was in Williamsport, PA, and overheard a few poker buddies talking about hitting the trifecta on a harness race. I was interested, and went to the OTB with them. I was starting to get hooked right after I bought the DRF there, and haven't looked back. I decided to go to all three of the TC races that year, and I did, and haven't looked back.

But the life-changing point was last summer. I was driving home from a job that I wasn't too thrilled about, listening to a racing show on Sirius that I had really gotten into, and overheard a guy talking about a racing program at the University of Arizona. Two days later, my girlfriend and I were ready to pack our bags, and we moved down here last winter. I start classes in January, and cannot wait.

I guess racing is truly a part of my life now, and in 2 years, I will be out of my current job at a hospital and into the racing world full-time. It's gonna be an awesome ride...

2Hot4TV
11-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Enjoy the ride, Lost in Texas. Good luck

Rudeboyelvis
11-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Started going to Rosecroft Raceway (outside of Wash DC) on Friday nights. I had just graduated high school and was going to a community college, working at a car dealership as a lot attendant in the afternoon and on weekends. One of the top salesmen was a guy that had been at this dealership for like 25 years and knew everyone and anyone in the area. The guy would move 40 cars a month just by selling to folks he'd known forever, or were referred to him by folks he'd known for ever. Anyway, this guy in addition to being a very adept harness handicapper apparently knew more than a few folks at the track and more than a few things about the "goings on" as it were.
My buddy and I would take care of him - prepping his cars first, doing anything he needed to get the sale done, etc, and in turn he would let us tag along with him to the track after work.
Needless to say, when you can take a 20.00 bill to the track and come home with 140.00 - your hooked (talking 1980 money here, I was lucky to take home 60 bucks a week working part time :) )
I've only seriously followed thoroughbred racing since I moved to the Tampa area about 4 years ago and went to TBD to watch the Preakness. It's a fantastic venue for racing and for the first time in my life a thoroughbred track close to home. 18 days....18 days. :cool:

miraja2
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
The interesting thing for me is that I don't care for the gambling part of the sport. If I see something that I like, I'll play it. Sometimes it's weeks or months between plays for me. What's even more interesting is that I don't like horses at all. Never have.
You are - without a doubt - one of the most perplexing individuals I have ever encountered on the internet or in real life.
I have never heard of someone who did not like gambling OR horses, but was a big fan of this game.

boswd
11-19-2007, 10:49 AM
growing up 40 mins outside of Saratoga

King Glorious
11-19-2007, 01:15 PM
You are - without a doubt - one of the most perplexing individuals I have ever encountered on the internet or in real life.
I have never heard of someone who did not like gambling OR horses, but was a big fan of this game.

I do like the gambling. Just not that important to me. I don't need to be in on every race to make it exciting for me. The horses as animals, I don't care for. As competitors, I like to watch them. The fun for me is trying to see if I can be correct in my handicapping.

blackthroatedwind
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM

What he also is, that you don't find on the internet too often, is bluntly honest.

Personally I respect that a great deal.

EpBurns
11-19-2007, 01:46 PM
The First time I ever went to the races was at Bowie I was about 11 years old and my uncle who has loved the horses and owned some later in life had a friend that was a trainer, It was a stakes races at Bowie and my uncle gave me a ticket to hold for him it was a $2 exacta box with the friends horse and he won the race and the exacta paid $132.00 and he gave me the ticket I thought I was rich,,, I will always remember the horse that won that day name was Isella (sp?) and ever since then I love the excitement of horse racing the thrill you get when they come to the finish line win lose or draw.

miraja2
11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
What he also is, that you don't find on the internet too often, is bluntly honest.

Personally I respect that a great deal.
As do I.
There are few people I enjoy arguing with more than KG.

Port Conway Lane
11-19-2007, 04:03 PM
The First time I ever went to the races was at Bowie I was about 11 years old and my uncle who has loved the horses and owned some later in life had a friend that was a trainer, It was a stakes races at Bowie and my uncle gave me a ticket to hold for him it was a $2 exacta box with the friends horse and he won the race and the exacta paid $132.00 and he gave me the ticket I thought I was rich,,, I will always remember the horse that won that day name was Isella (sp?) and ever since then I love the excitement of horse racing the thrill you get when they come to the finish line win lose or draw.
I remember Isella. Was your uncle's friend Leon Blusiewicz?

blackthroatedwind
11-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I remember Isella. Was your uncle's friend Leon Blusiewicz?

Blue is a friend of all racetrackers.

Payson Dave
11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Blue is a friend of all racetrackers.

I spent a number of mornings this past August clocking horses with Blue...he's got some great tales!!

sevennever
11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Growing up two blocks from Pimlico, what else are you going to do in the afternoon during the high school years. Get in for free for the 8th and 9th races. My Dad could always tell where I had been because I smelled like a cigar!

Port Conway Lane
11-19-2007, 04:29 PM
I spent a number of mornings this past August clocking horses with Blue...he's got some great tales!!
I'm prolly the only one who doesn't know him.

EpBurns
11-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Yes Blue is my uncles friend and man that was a long time ago and I see Blue just about every preakness, Funny story this year we are all standing in the box at Preakness and I tell my uncle and Blue that Rages to Riches would win the Belmont and Blues comeback to me was " Ain't no fillie going to win the damn Belmont" When she did I had to remind my uncle to tell Blue that line.

westcoastinvader
11-20-2007, 09:58 PM
http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com/option,com_events/task,view_detail/agid,106/year,2007/month,11/day,09/Itemid,35/

listen to the start of hour 3 (about 5 minutes in) with Steve and Rick Hammerle.

"What, di ya have a $2 bet on it?"

"No, he had the exacta, the tri, the super and the pick 4!"

"She's a keeper."

Phil, nice hit, nice story and nice catch!

Lbigdog77
11-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Ellis Park. Henderson, KY. Beautiful beings (horses). Interesting and diverse individuals. Analytics. Simple yet sophisticated.

Danzig
11-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Ellis Park. Henderson, KY. Beautiful beings (horses). Interesting and diverse individuals. Analytics. Simple yet sophisticated.

well, hey! welcome back!