PDA

View Full Version : My Show-For those who may care...

Buffymommy
06-26-2006, 06:18 AM
I am off of work today so I don't have email addresses, but others who wished me well last week.

I ended up with a second in my first dressage test, third in the second test. I almost went clean in the jumping but had .10 over the time allowed so THREE FAULTS. Got second. There were only two of us in the jumping and the trainer on a green horse beat me in both dressage tests and the jumping. She was five points ahead of me going into the jumping class. She went clean and I had three faults so she beat me by 8 points. BUT I JUMPED CLEAN. Buck hesitated at the LAST jump because of a gate in the bushes next to the last jump that he didn't like. Took every ounce of leg strength I had to keep him inside the jump and to go over it. But all and all for my first jumping class I am happy with it.

ON TO THE NEXT SHOW NEXT MONTH! :)

Thanks for the good wishes last week. Genuine, I hope you did well yesterday too.

paisjpq
06-26-2006, 06:35 AM
well done buffy. It's a nice feeling to get the first one under your belt. Best of luck in the next.:)

Buffymommy
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
well done buffy. It's a nice feeling to get the first one under your belt. Best of luck in the next.:)

Thanks paisjpq. I was sooooo happy yesterday. Haven't gotten a blue ribbon yet, but I have a feeling about next month. I tell you what after I got done with the jumping class I gave Buck the biggest hug and a kiss on his sweaty nose. I think my husband gave him about five carrots and two apples (after I hosed Buck off and he was cooled out). I think I love this horse more everyday. I seriously hope they continue to let me ride him for a long while. Just need to work on our free walk (more impulsion in the rear) and our circles. We have the size of the circles down, just have to get more curve into Buck. I did score an 8 on my down center line and square halt well the second one anyway. Judge even complimented me on it after the test was over. Not bad for an out-of-shape woman reliving her youth and a western pleasure horse.

Funniest thing? About five people came up to me and asked if Buck's tail was a wig. He has the most beautiful tail. Everyone was jealous!

I had a great day. Well I am off to be a blond again! Thanks for listening to my stories! Chat at you later!

Downthestretch55
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Congrats!
Good luck in the next.

cal828
06-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Buffy. I still don't understand a lot of what you are talking about especially
that "impulsion in the rear" thing. Sounds like you're shooting off a rocket or something. Doesn't matter though. I can understand enough to know that you did well. Nice to hear that someone did well at something they like doing.

PeteMugg
06-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Congrats Buffy. Sounds like a great day doing what you love to do.

Buffymommy
06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
cal: Impulsion from the rear is what the judge says when you need to get your horse moving more underneath itself and pulling the power out of it's rearend. (Hence why I have a thing for horses with big butts) Dressage they like that. It is hard for Buck to do that because he is a western pleasure horse and is very out of shape so he is very heavy on the forehand, meaning he carries the majority of his weight on his front legs when moving because of his weakness in his rear because of being out of shape. He really just started getting back to normal work about two months ago. I try to ride at least four times a week now so he is getting more normal works and am working on circles and stuff to help him build up the strength in his rearend.

Did I just confuse you more? I have a tendency to go on and on. Sorry. Basically, I do dressage (just intro stuff) and have started jumping. We had a combined show which is one dressage class and one jumping class. You take your score from the dressage class and minus any faults ya get in the jumping class. That is what you get pinned for in the combined event.

Thanks Pete & DTS! I had a wonderful day!

P.S. Pete I love your signature! :D

cal828
06-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Very seldom that I actually see any dressage or jumping except I think I've seen it a few times when they were showing the Olympics. No, you didn't confuse me more. I think I might have an idea of what you are talking about now, but what do you mean when you say your horse is a western pleasure horse? Does that mean that he wasn't necessarily bred for dressage or jumping?

Buffymommy
06-27-2006, 06:08 AM
Very seldom that I actually see any dressage or jumping except I think I've seen it a few times when they were showing the Olympics. No, you didn't confuse me more. I think I might have an idea of what you are talking about now, but what do you mean when you say your horse is a western pleasure horse? Does that mean that he wasn't necessarily bred for dressage or jumping?

Buck was trained in western pleasure. Meaning up until about three years ago Buck had never been ridden english or jumped in his life. A girl took him and was training him jumping and dressage. She did a very nice job with him and even showed in some schooling shows but then stopped after about a year or two. Buck then became a western trail horse for his owner. Some others rode him english now and then, but he wasn't seriously worked for about six months to a year. Honestly, in my opinion the horse should have been trained for jumping or hunters. The horse loves to jump. He hasn't refused a fence for me yet. Ears prick forward when we go into the jumping ring and a spring comes to his step.

paisjpq
06-27-2006, 06:13 AM
Just need to work on our free walk (more impulsion in the rear) and our circles. We have the size of the circles down, just have to get more curve into Buck. I did score an 8 on my down center line and square halt well the second one anyway. Judge even complimented me on it after the test was over. Not bad for an out-of-shape woman reliving her youth and a western pleasure horse.

I trained a little (14.3) App. for a friend of mine a few years ago for low level dressage and those were the types of things he just never got the hang of because HE wanted to be a western pleasure horse. Unfortunately he has bone cancer and is unrideable now so I never got to see if he could come around. Don't get discouraged if he can't learn it, just enjoy what he can do...

Buffymommy
06-27-2006, 10:06 AM
I trained a little (14.3) App. for a friend of mine a few years ago for low level dressage and those were the types of things he just never got the hang of because HE wanted to be a western pleasure horse. Unfortunately he has bone cancer and is unrideable now so I never got to see if he could come around. Don't get discouraged if he can't learn it, just enjoy what he can do...

I am soooo sorrry about your friend's horse. That is horrible. Is your friend ok?

I am enjoying Buck while I can ride him. He is a blast to be around, meaning he is such a sweetheart and loves attention. We aren't going to any big shows. I don't want to do that. We are a good match. I don't plan on jumping anything bigger than say 2'3 and not going higher than any training level dressage classes. He is fine for that. Only reason I can't get the impulsion from his rear is that when I ask for a little more umph out of him his head comes up in the free walk. So I have to go with either or here. Next month I will try having the head come up and see how the judge scores me. I really am just doing it for the fun of doing it. I am not a "die-hard" competitor for the shows. Just interested in seeing how I do. I like dressage because I like how you know exactly how you did and what you need to work on when you get your scores.

GenuineRisk
06-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm so proud of you! Yay!

And so envious you get to ride 4 times a week! I had my one lesson last night.

I was in my hometown over the weekend and my uncle is taking care of a horse for the woman who watches his horse when he's out of town. She's not a rider, but her grandmother was and the horse was her grandmothers. Loveliest little (14'3", maybe?) fleabitten grey QH. And sweet! My uncle says as soon as her saddle arrives he'd be happy if I'd give her some exercise next time I'm in town. Um... how soon can I get back? :)

He also has a big TWH that could use some exercise, too, but apparently the big guy does walk and fast walk and that's it. Never learned how to pick up the canter.

Buffymommy
07-17-2006, 02:30 PM
OK, had a show yesterday. Got third in all of my classes. BUT the two people ahead of me were trainers on young horses (who are probably worth $30,000 a piece).

I did improve in the first dressage test (scored a 64% up from a 61% last month). With an awesome second circle and a nice moving free walk. So our impulsion in the free walk has improved.

We did worse by about .5% on the second dressage test because Buck decided to be a stinker in our circle and decided to throw a tiny "buck" in when I asked him to bend into his turn. We did get a "NICE PAIR" in the judge's comments section. The scribe for the judge was Freddy's owner, she said she really liked Buck and I. She said "You ride him girl" and laughed when Buck did the little buck because I gave him a little swat with the crop and called him a "Stinker". (I don't think the judge heard me because we were on the opposite side of the ring and I said it loud enough for only Buck to hear.) But we only got scored a whooping "5" for that circle and it was a double coeffient so I actually lost two points. Also "STINKER" as I was referring to him until our jump class also decided to not stop to a walk before the ending halt at "X" so we did a "working trot to X and then stopped and saluted" instead of a halt through medium walk. We got a "6 for that instead of the "8" we got last month.

Jumping was very much improved. I hit about three rails but they all stayed up and we were the fastest ones around the course. I had lower dressage scores and the two ahead of me went clean too so again Third place in the combined. Buck was awesome in the jumping so he ended up getting all of the carrots my husband brought with him. I even brought some home made treaties from some of the girls at the barn (they were selling them for charity for the ASPCA for help with some rescued horses). So Buck got those too.

Well, thanks for listening and for the good wishes.

Downthestretch55
07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Nice going Buffy!
Good to hear that you and Buck are doing well.
Stinker...huh? They ALL are! lol

I went to the farm today to give Shot o' Bourbon a little work, but dang! It's so hot that I didn't dare take her from beneath her cool shady tree.
Looks like Big Daddy Ray is "in" on Friday. Stay tuned.

Ride 'em hard...ride 'em fair and firm.

Bold Brooklynite
07-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I ended up with a second in my first dressage test, third in the second test. I almost went clean in the jumping but had .10 over the time allowed so THREE FAULTS. Got second. There were only two of us in the jumping and the trainer on a green horse beat me in both dressage tests and the jumping. She was five points ahead of me going into the jumping class. She went clean and I had three faults so she beat me by 8 points. BUT I JUMPED CLEAN. Buck hesitated at the LAST jump because of a gate in the bushes next to the last jump that he didn't like. Took every ounce of leg strength I had to keep him inside the jump and to go over it. But all and all for my first jumping class I am happy with it.

ON TO THE NEXT SHOW NEXT MONTH! :)

A bit of advice ... next time try doing this while on the back of a horse.

You'll find that the horse can run faster and jump higher than you can ... and that will improve your chances dramatically.

Good luck.

Downthestretch55
07-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Buffy,
Did you ever notice that the "fraud" seems to find a need to respond to every one of my posts on this board?
He's such an angry old idiot! Guess he got that way from living for so long in that refrigerator box under the 1-95 overpass.
Wait til he tells you about his "breeding" expertise, cause, he certainly an "expert" on world affairs...and now he's telling YOU how to ride a horse!
He's a "self proclaimed" expert on just about everything....
The "King of the bottle and can collectors" of 1-95, deposit only.
LMFAO!!!
I wonder how he fits so much insight into the limited time he gets from the library. So many posts, so little time, so much bul-sh-t.
Actually, I think it's good that they turned him out from the mental institution because he was costing us taxpayers more than plenty. I just hope he cashes enough nickle deposits to buy his meds.

GenuineRisk
07-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated on your shows, BM! I love reading about them.

I'm off to the gym and then my riding lesson. It's a sad state of affairs when it's so hot in NYC that I flee to the gym to stay cool! (We can't afford an A/C right now so I'm avoiding home until after dark. Our new apartment only takes wall units, not window units, and those wall units start at $550!)

paisjpq
07-17-2006, 04:51 PM
glad to hear you had fun Buffy! BTW my friend's horse that has cancer is doing ok (as is she). He was diagnosed a year ago and is still pasture sound so he hangs out and eats all day while her other two have to work...

timmgirvan
07-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Buffy: great job! It's nice to have an avocation that gets your juices flowin! TMG

Buffymommy
07-18-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone. Have until September for the next show. Have some time to work on our "bending" in the turns. We have the same judge coming in September so lets see how the scores are then.

Pais, glad to hear that your friend's horse is doing well. Now he gets to "retire" so to speak. Give him treaties and lots of kisses.

And Brooklyn, why are you being mean and sarcastic on this thread? I put it in the "off topic" section so as to not bother you "gamblers" who could care less about riding.

Oh and guys, I did jump the 2'3 roll top jump in my lessons lately. It was fun. My trainer and the barn owner were watching. They laughed because we looked awesome going over it, but about five strides after the jump was a puddle. Buck spooked at it and kinda side stepped around it. (even though we had been trotting through puddles for the whole lesson.)

Bold Brooklynite
07-18-2006, 11:13 AM
And Brooklyn, why are you being mean and sarcastic on this thread? I put it in the "off topic" section so as to not bother you "gamblers" who could care less about riding.

In reading your report ... you spoke about your jumping and your performance and your this-and-that ... but there was no mention of a horse being present.

I just thought I'd tweak you a little bit for failing to adequately mention your equine partner.

Go back and re-read your original submission ... almost no horse mentions ... are there? It's all about you.

And please ... please ... don't mistake me for a gambler. As I've posted elsewhere ... I haven't made a significant wager in nearly forty years. I'm an analyst, a neologist, a wit, a bon vivant, a raconteur, a wag, and a scalawag ... but I'm not a "gambler."

GenuineRisk
07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
In reading your report ... you spoke about your jumping and your performance and your this-and-that ... but there was no mention of a horse being present.

I just thought I'd tweak you a little bit for failing to adequately mention your equine partner.

Go back and re-read your original submission ... almost no horse mentions ... are there? It's all about you.

And please ... please ... don't mistake me for a gambler. As I've posted elsewhere ... I haven't made a significant wager in nearly forty years. I'm an analyst, a neologist, a wit, a bon vivant, a raconteur, a wag, and a scalawag ... but I'm not a "gambler."

BB, to be a "wit," you first have to be funny.

Downthestretch55
07-18-2006, 12:00 PM
BB, to be a "wit," you first have to be funny.
At least he got half of it right.

GenuineRisk
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
At least he got half of it right.

Okay, now THAT is funny.

Buffymommy
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM

"FOR THOSE WHO MAY CARE"

This is who I put the topic to. They know of Buck and his "Naked"ness. :) I was stating how I did as a rider.

I can think of a few names for you, but I am the Queen of Nice, so I will refrain myself.

Buffymommy
09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Well, I have to say, I was very happy with our performances at the show yesterday.

First Dressage test was a bust, BUT we scored higher than we have in the past by about .2%. Buck decided he wanted to rush through the entire test. It was quite comical. The judge asked me after the test "Do you have somewhere to go?" To which I laughed and said "I don't have anywhere else to go but Buck may have" She laughed. I didn't get a "needs more energy" on anything, which we normally get on every test. :D

Second dressage test we did awesome. Scored higher than we ever had. Got an 8 even. Rest 7s and some 6s. Even got a 7 on our second circle.

Jumping we had one rail down, but still managed to come in 2nd overall in the combined in the jumping. Only five of us competed in the jumping. BUT HA HA I beat both trainers in the jumping that I lost to in the last show.

Just thought I would fill ya in on how my show went. Thanks for listening to me blab!

Downthestretch55
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Buffy,
Thanks for sharing. You are becoming more and more accomplished.
Nice to hear of the improvement.
Keep it up, and the heels down.
DTS

Buffymommy
09-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Buffy,
Thanks for sharing. You are becoming more and more accomplished.
Nice to hear of the improvement.
Keep it up, and the heels down.
DTS

Thanks DTS!

Downthestretch55
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Thanks DTS!
Hey Buffy,
I was going to put this on the "selections" tread, but here's as good a spot as any. Big Daddy Ray is running this Fri at Finger Lakes, race 9.
It's a mile and 70 yd with Elaine Castillo in the irons. ML on him is 5-1.
I think this is his distance. I'm hoping.

Buffymommy
09-12-2006, 02:38 PM
Hey Buffy,
I was going to put this on the "selections" tread, but here's as good a spot as any. Big Daddy Ray is running this Fri at Finger Lakes, race 9.
It's a mile and 70 yd with Elaine Castillo in the irons. ML on him is 5-1.
I think this is his distance. I'm hoping.

I saw that yesterday morning. (Got him in my stable). How did he do last time out? Ya still thinking of giving him away or have you fallen head over heels in love with him? :p

Best of luck on Friday. I will keep and eye on the race. Been busy at work lately. Beginning to catch up so I am not as bogged down as I have been.

Downthestretch55
09-12-2006, 02:52 PM
I saw that yesterday morning. (Got him in my stable). How did he do last time out? Ya still thinking of giving him away or have you fallen head over heels in love with him? :p

Best of luck on Friday. I will keep and eye on the race. Been busy at work lately. Beginning to catch up so I am not as bogged down as I have been.
He didn't do well last out, but it was a 6f, not his style.
I have a partner on him, so the decision of giving him away has to be agreed.
I'm not in love with him. It's business.
If he can't pay his way after being given second and third chances, it only costs me what I could be putting into some of the other ones.
We'll see. He should do better in this one.
DTS

Buffymommy
10-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Well, Mr. Naked must have liked the treaties he got with his last blue ribbon. We got two firsts and a third today. I am tired and going to bed now. Chat at you guys later!

GenuineRisk
10-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Well, Mr. Naked must have liked the treaties he got with his last blue ribbon. We got two firsts and a third today. I am tired and going to bed now. Chat at you guys later!

Buffym, you big tease! I look forward to the recap. And congrats!

kentuckyrosesinmay
10-08-2006, 11:02 PM
Congrats Buffy, and that blue will come.;) I showed for a whole year as a child before I got my first blue. Ironically, my first blue came at a very big horse show. You never know when you'll have a great ride. Good luck with your horse's combined training.

Keep working with him, and try to really get him off of his forehand by doing lots of bending exercises. Try to get him to lift his shoulders up in your corners (this will help). The right frame takes awhile especially if the horse isn't built very well for the discipline. Sometimes spurs help with the impulsion or a dressage whip (you may already use that). Also, getting the horse to trot over ground poles or poles that are slightly off the ground help's too because he has to lift his shoulders up and get his hocks underneath him. Just remember forward, forward motion. Okay, I'm done being an instructor. LOL I may have not told you anything that you don't already know though.

Second is still very, very good. Be proud of yourself:D You got to watch those trainers on the green horses too. Those horses are usually really, really nice. So don't be discouraged at all. That blue will come...

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 12:42 AM

Congrats, Buffy! :D

I was supposed to show next weekend, but the mare I've been riding came up lame last week after being let out, so that's a big no-go for me since it appears that it's a torn suspensory ligament. It looks like I'm going to try and make a schooling show here in the next few weeks with a new horse at my barn. :)

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 08:30 AM
For Genuine who asked:

FIRST OFF: Keep in mind that I have a sinus infection I have been battling with since the beginning of last week. Had a lesson Friday night and Buck knocked over about 10 out of 15 jumps we went over because my legs were so weak so that I could not push him forward enough. I threated him that if he didn't listen to my legs in my warmup for the show, I was putting on my spurs. (I didn't have to go to the spurs.) Although I did find out after the show that the girls that rode him before me ALL rode him with spurs. I never have.

OK now for the show:

Scored a 73.5 on my first dressage test. Nice Blue ribbon there. My friend was competing against me too. She got a 73. HA HA! She was happy though. It was only her second show and the first with the horse she was riding. (there were five of us in this class)

Second dressage test wasn't as good. We scored a 66.5. Not great, but Buck was a bit "jiggy" in his trot and not moving forward. He was moving fast but not balanced as much as he was in the first test. By the second half of this test, he had gotten his balance back and we scored much better on this half of the test. We got third in this. (There was four in this class so third was not that great, but the score was ok and we were all in the mid to high 60s)

NOW onto jumping. I was very worried about this because there were 14 jumps and I was sooooo tired by this time. My energy was drained. But Buck took care of me. We rubbed the first jump but it stayed up. We went to the second jump and Buck hesitated. I tapped him with the crop and he hopped over the jump then stopped. My trainer is yelling "just keep going forward". HA HA! Buck was pooping before the jump and finished after the jump. HA HA. It was funny. We went on to only knock one rail over, but still managed to win the combination class as the other two in the jumping didn't do as well. One lady had two refusals and the other had three rails down. SO BLUE RIBBON to Mr. Buck "poopy over jumps" and me (sick as a dog, but trying).

OK, Buck got six treaty cookies and three apples. I really think he is getting into this showing thing. I think he is beginning to like showing off. :)

Well, I have to get back to work. Thanks for all the good wishes.

Cajun: I am sorry to hear about your mare. Is she going to be alright? Tell me about the new horse.

And thanks for the tips KY. I have been doing lots of transistions with Buck to get him more on his hind end. I think it is beginning to work. The judge really liked Buck yesterday. She even wrote on my test "lovely test" and "Get a little more of a rounded topline and we will see you in training level". She was a very nice judge and even asked me after my second test what I thought about it. She really did a nice job for a schooling dressage show. She was very helpful. She even commented that she was happily surprised how well Buck moves. She said he had beautiful gaits. Actually scored us an "8" on them. HA HA! Not bad for my western pleasure backyard horse. :)

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
For Genuine who asked:

FIRST OFF: Keep in mind that I have a sinus infection I have been battling with since the beginning of last week. Had a lesson Friday night and Buck knocked over about 10 out of 15 jumps we went over because my legs were so weak so that I could not push him forward enough. I threated him that if he didn't listen to my legs in my warmup for the show, I was putting on my spurs. (I didn't have to go to the spurs.) Although I did find out after the show that the girls that rode him before me ALL rode him with spurs. I never have.

OK now for the show:

Scored a 73.5 on my first dressage test. Nice Blue ribbon there. My friend was competing against me too. She got a 73. HA HA! She was happy though. It was only her second show and the first with the horse she was riding. (there were five of us in this class)

Second dressage test wasn't as good. We scored a 66.5. Not great, but Buck was a bit "jiggy" in his trot and not moving forward. He was moving fast but not balanced as much as he was in the first test. By the second half of this test, he had gotten his balance back and we scored much better on this half of the test. We got third in this. (There was four in this class so third was not that great, but the score was ok and we were all in the mid to high 60s)

NOW onto jumping. I was very worried about this because there were 14 jumps and I was sooooo tired by this time. My energy was drained. But Buck took care of me. We rubbed the first jump but it stayed up. We went to the second jump and Buck hesitated. I tapped him with the crop and he hopped over the jump then stopped. My trainer is yelling "just keep going forward". HA HA! Buck was pooping before the jump and finished after the jump. HA HA. It was funny. We went on to only knock one rail over, but still managed to win the combination class as the other two in the jumping didn't do as well. One lady had two refusals and the other had three rails down. SO BLUE RIBBON to Mr. Buck "poopy over jumps" and me (sick as a dog, but trying).

OK, Buck got six treaty cookies and three apples. I really think he is getting into this showing thing. I think he is beginning to like showing off. :)

Well, I have to get back to work. Thanks for all the good wishes.

Cajun: I am sorry to hear about your mare. Is she going to be alright? Tell me about the new horse.

And thanks for the tips KY. I have been doing lots of transistions with Buck to get him more on his hind end. I think it is beginning to work. The judge really liked Buck yesterday. She even wrote on my test "lovely test" and "Get a little more of a rounded topline and we will see you in training level". She was a very nice judge and even asked me after my second test what I thought about it. She really did a nice job for a schooling dressage show. She was very helpful. She even commented that she was happily surprised how well Buck moves. She said he had beautiful gaits. Actually scored us an "8" on them. HA HA! Not bad for my western pleasure backyard horse. :)

Buffy, that is awesome about your show. It's always a nice feeling to get some positive comments from the judges. :cool: I know how you feel about being "weak" though... I'm still trying to get back into shape, and it's tough!

This new horse I rode yesterday (just hacked her out for an hour) is a nice bay thoroughbred/hanoverian cross mare. She's a very cute mover... a little nervous about "spooky looking" jumps, but overall a great prospect. I think I'll be riding her (her name is Topsy) in the schooling show. As for Amber, (the QH mare I have been riding), she should be fine, but will need about 3 months of stall rest before we can even attempt at getting her back. Unfortunately, she injured herself out in the field... we had some nasty weather the other night and I'm guessing it spooked her a bit and lord only knows what she did. :(

kentuckyrosesinmay
10-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Buffy, I didn't read the entire thread so I didn't know that you had been to several shows.

Congrats on this last show:D

A 73.5%? Wow. Awesome:D

See, and it didn't take you very long AT All to get those blues...

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Buffy, that is awesome about your show. It's always a nice feeling to get some positive comments from the judges. :cool: I know how you feel about being "weak" though... I'm still trying to get back into shape, and it's tough!

This new horse I rode yesterday (just hacked her out for an hour) is a nice bay thoroughbred/hanoverian cross mare. She's a very cute mover... a little nervous about "spooky looking" jumps, but overall a great prospect. I think I'll be riding her (her name is Topsy) in the schooling show. As for Amber, (the QH mare I have been riding), she should be fine, but will need about 3 months of stall rest before we can even attempt at getting her back. Unfortunately, she injured herself out in the field... we had some nasty weather the other night and I'm guessing it spooked her a bit and lord only knows what she did. :(

I want you to post pics of you after the show! Topsy is a cute name too. Glad you have another horse to ride. She sounds pretty. How tall is she? With that cross, she has to be atleast 16.2.

GenuineRisk
10-09-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the recap, BM! I loved reading it.

Cajun, I'm sorry about the injured mare, but Topsy sounds like a cutie.

On a sad riding note:

Please send good thoughts to a poor kid who was seriously injured in Queens this weekend-- he was riding along a highway (I see riders there a lot; it's not unsual) and his horse spooked, charged into traffic and attempted to jump a taxicab. The horse died, and the teenager has serious head trauma and a broken leg. He was with a group called the Federation of Black Cowboys and I'm sick to my stomach thinking he might not have had a helmet on (it's the "cowboy" in the name that makes me worry).

So everyone keep winning blues and wearing helmets!

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Buffy, I didn't read the entire thread so I didn't know that you had been to several shows.

Congrats on this last show:D

A 73.5%? Wow. Awesome:D

See, and it didn't take you very long AT All to get those blues...

Thanks KY. We are just doing easy Intro stuff in the dressage and 18 inch to 2ft jumps. Nothing major like Cajun. We are just getting back into riding shape (Me and Buck). His owners seem to be happy with my riding him so hopefully they let me keep riding him. He is getting a LONG mane though. (His owners like him to be a horse which means no mane pulling or whisker trims for Buck). So Buck and I will do schooling shows while I save up for my own horse. But Buck has stolen my heart so I will stay with him for awhile.

paisjpq
10-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the recap, BM! I loved reading it.

Cajun, I'm sorry about the injured mare, but Topsy sounds like a cutie.

On a sad riding note:

Please send good thoughts to a poor kid who was seriously injured in Queens this weekend-- he was riding along a highway (I see riders there a lot; it's not unsual) and his horse spooked, charged into traffic and attempted to jump a taxicab. The horse died, and the teenager has serious head trauma and a broken leg. He was with a group called the Federation of Black Cowboys and I'm sick to my stomach thinking he might not have had a helmet on (it's the "cowboy" in the name that makes me worry).

wow, that is too bad...I'll never understand the no helmet thing...(even though I've been guilty of it myself when it's hot)..reminds me of a few years ago around here when two horses got loose from their paddock and went running up the highway ...both were hit by cars and killed while their 16 year old owner watched.

Buffymommy
On a sad riding note:

I hadn't heard about this Genuine. I will send good thoughts his way.

Cajungator26
I want you to post pics of you after the show! Topsy is a cute name too. Glad you have another horse to ride. She sounds pretty. How tall is she? With that cross, she has to be atleast 16.2.

You know, I haven't sticked her yet, but I would say about 16.1. She's pretty short coupled too and a real pain in the arse when it comes to standing still! :D

Genuine, I will keep him in my prayers... it is so dangerous riding on a busy street... the reality is that even the quietest horses can tend to be very spooky when they make up their mind to be that way. :(

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 11:24 AM
wow, that is too bad...I'll never understand the no helmet thing...(even though I've been guilty of it myself when it's hot)..reminds me of a few years ago around here when two horses got loose from their paddock and went running up the highway ...both were hit by cars and killed while their 16 year old owner watched.

Just the thought of watching that makes me cry. I hope the owner is OK.

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks KY. We are just doing easy Intro stuff in the dressage and 18 inch to 2ft jumps. Nothing major like Cajun. We are just getting back into riding shape (Me and Buck). His owners seem to be happy with my riding him so hopefully they let me keep riding him. He is getting a LONG mane though. (His owners like him to be a horse which means no mane pulling or whisker trims for Buck). So Buck and I will do schooling shows while I save up for my own horse. But Buck has stolen my heart so I will stay with him for awhile.

Buffy, I'm not doing anything major lately either! I haven't shown A circuit in a long time... I'm not even sure I still have what it takes. Post some pics of you and Buck, ok?

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Buffy, I'm not doing anything major lately either! I haven't shown A circuit in a long time... I'm not even sure I still have what it takes. Post some pics of you and Buck, ok?

Nah, I don't want people to actually see what I look like! Why I only post pics of Buck. :)

If I can figure out how to do it, I will PM some to you. :)

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Something similar to that happened down here ten years ago... it was awful... they got hit by a semi and I'll never forget how devastating it was to their owners. :(

GenuineRisk
10-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Something similar to that happened down here ten years ago... it was awful... they got hit by a semi and I'll never forget how devastating it was to their owners. :(

One of the favorite horses at the stable where I ride was hit by car on the way back to the stable (the a**hole driver took off). He made it back to the stable with his rider and then collapsed. Symphony-- former racehorse, now that I think of it. Big red chestnut; kind as could be. We were all devastated.

I checked out the NYDaily News and it looks like the kid will make it. Thirteen-year-old; riding for a few years now, but unclear whether he had a helmet on. He was thrown before the horse leaped into traffic. His mom was quoted as saying she didn't want him to ride anymore, but his dad said he thinks the accident won't keep the kid off horses. Awww.....

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I checked out the NYDaily News and it looks like the kid will make it. Thirteen-year-old; riding for a few years now, but unclear whether he had a helmet on. He was thrown before the horse leaped into traffic. His mom was quoted as saying she didn't want him to ride anymore, but his dad said he thinks the accident won't keep the kid off horses. Awww.....

One of the girls I ride with (she is 12), well her mom died a couple of years ago after falling from a horse. She hit her head on the fence. It was a very sad time from what I have heard. Her father let her make the decision to keep riding or not. She chose to ride again knowing it was an accident.

Cajungator26
10-09-2006, 01:05 PM
One of the girls I ride with (she is 12), well her mom died a couple of years ago after falling from a horse. She hit her head on the fence. It was a very sad time from what I have heard. Her father let her make the decision to keep riding or not. She chose to ride again knowing it was an accident.

That's awful, Buffy... :(

I wouldn't quit riding either... I just love the horses too much.

GenuineRisk
10-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Wow. That's a really sad story. She sounds like a tough kid, though. I don't think you really ever get over losing a parent when you're that young, but you do get past it eventually. And that's really amazing that her dad let her choose to keep riding. Good for him.

Buffymommy
10-09-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow. That's a really sad story. She sounds like a tough kid, though. I don't think you really ever get over losing a parent when you're that young, but you do get past it eventually. And that's really amazing that her dad let her choose to keep riding. Good for him.

I think he asked her to ride one more time after her mom's death and then told her that it was up to her. She chose to keep riding. She is a very mature young woman who has a heart of gold. I just adore her. I adore all the young girls at the barn. They are all sweethearts. I keep telling them "stick with the horses, boys are NOTHING but trouble" :) Their parents love me.

Buffymommy
12-19-2006, 01:53 PM
THOUGHT I WOULD UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO MAY CARE...

Buck and I got reserve champion for the season at the hunter show we did. Hee hee. It was a total surprise and I am guessing that they didn't have a lot of people in my division, but I will take it. OUR FIRST AWARD! Buck got lots of treaties after I found out!

Oh and an update on the girl that I told you about whose mom died... On the anniversary of her mom's death, she was at a horseshow and got her FIRST BLUE RIBBON! I as was many of the mom's at the show in tears as they took her picture afterwards. It really was an awesome moment.

Downthestretch55
12-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Buffy,
That's wonderful!
Thanks for sharing the good news.
DTS

Buffymommy
12-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks DTS!

Cajungator26
12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Congrats, Buffy! That is awesome news! :D

Buffymommy
02-11-2007, 06:52 PM
OK, MY LAST POST IN THIS THREAD. We had our last combined training show today. I am exhausted. Went to an awards banquet for the hunter series I did, the one where Buck and I got reserve in one of the classes. Didn't get home until 11 or so. Got up at 5:30 to get out to the barn before 7am to feed Buck because we had to walk our jump course at 8:30 and I had training at 8:45. YIPEE!

OK, first class we were the last to go. Buck was feeling good because it was in the low 60s out. We ended up scoring a 72.5. The best I think we have ever done. Scored all 7s and 8s. WE GOT THE BLUE!

Intro B was next. I have gotten second a few times, but never won the class. We scored a 72.40. HEE HEE! ANOTHER BLUE!

Next was the jump class. Which the barn owner made a TOUGH course which included a "BOUNCER" or a death jump as I like to call it! :D I had never jumped one before. I was very very nervous because the course also included a jump that I dubbed the "POPPER" since Buck liked to "POP" his back legs up on everytime we went over it. Well there were only two of us in the jumping and the young trainer woman went first. They went clean. Now it was up to Buck and I. First jump good. Next jump was a sharp turn to the right. We came into it ok, but afterwards was not good. We rubbed it but it stayed up. We straightened up before the next jump and flew over that jump. Went over the next four jumps without touching them. NOW the bounce is coming. (By the way the bounce is also called an "in and out") Well in we went. Buck popped right over them both! We finished the course with about three or four rubs BUT NO FAULTS. We went clean. ANOTHER BLUE!

THREE BLUES TODAY FOR THREE CLASSES! I WAS IN HEAVEN! Buck got many many treaties and a linament bath.

THEN TO TOP IT ALL OFF! They did the final tally for the year end awards and guess what!!!!!

Intro A: CHAMPION

Intro B: Reserve Champion

Combined: CHAMPION!

Well that was our season and we are now done for awhile with showing. Thanks for listening to me ramble the entire season! Going to go order Buck a "CHAMPION" halter now!

timmgirvan
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Buffy: Congrats on your great season! Lots of hard work paid off....nice job.

Buffymommy
02-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks Timm. Going to bed now. Stayed out too late last night and OVER DID it today. Chat at you guys tomorrow if I get a chance. I have a big project at work that has to be done.